thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • October 19, 2013
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • Bet365 Stadium, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire
  • Referee: H. Webb
  • • Attendance: 25904

Stoke City 0-0 West Brom: Dire draw sees Potters' winless run continue

The two top-flight sides shared both the spoils and the points on Saturday afternoon with neither team able to break the deadlock in a very subdued game.

West Brom earned a hard-fought 0-0 draw against Stoke City on Saturday to set a new club record unbeaten streak in the Premier League.

The Midlands side had the lion's share of the chances at the Britannia Stadium but after being unable to break the deadlock, it picked up a point that sees the team extend its undefeated run to five top-flight matches.

The home side will also be happy with a result that sees it end a run of three straight league losses that has left the club languishing towards the bottom of the table.

Stoke manager Mark Hughes opted to make three changes from the side that lost 1-0 to Fulham before the international break, with a double switch in the middle seeing Charlie Adam and Oussama Assaidi drafted in.

But while that reshuffle appeared to be tactical, Hughes had less choice in handing Andy Wilkinson his first league start of the season, with in-form defender Geoff Cameron struggling with a calf injury.

His counterpart, Steve Clarke, maintained continuity from the 1-1 draw with Arsenal, with the only change seeing striker Nicolas Anelka replaced by Victor Anichebe, who returned from a groin injury.

It was the visiting side which got off to the better start too, with Stephane Sessegnon seeing his shot sail over the crossbar in the ninth minute shortly before he went one-on-one with Asmir Begovic, only to see the goalkeeper deny him with a fine save.

Hughes' men soon worked their way back into the game, and their best chance came just before the break when a clever free kick was met by Stephen Ireland, with Boaz Myhill doing well to get down low to his effort.  

The visiting side came out more brightly at the start of the second half, and their emphatic penalty appeals were waved away in the 59th minute by referee Howard Webb when Saido Berahino's heel appeared to be caught by Adam.

The incident did little to disrupt Stoke, however, which again went close through Ireland soon afterwards, only to see that effort fly over the crossbar.

Adam then challenged Myhill with a long-range effort.

Despite that pressure, Stoke could not find the back of the net, though, meaning that Hughes must wait a little longer for his first win in the league since the end of August.

Follow GOAL.COM on