Sporting started the season hottest, but since San Jose has taken its place as the most in-form team in the league.
|Sporting Kansas City (4-3-3): Nielsen; Myers, Collin, Besler, Sinovic; Nagamura, Cesar, Espinoza; Kamara, Bunbury, Convey.
OUT: GK Eric Kronberg (lower back strain)
PROBABLE: MF Julio Cesar (R knee strain); DF Aurelien Collin (L knee strain)
|San Jose Earthquakes (4-4-2): Busch; Beitashour, Hernandez, Opara, Corrales; Baca, Cronin, Stephenson, Chavez; Lenhart, Gordon.||
OUT: MF Joey Gjertsen (R knee surgery); MF Shea Salinas (L clavicle fracture); DF Tim Ward (L non-specific soft tissue injury)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Victor Bernardez (L knee MCL sprain); MF Marvin Chavez (L hamstring strain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Sporting KC doesn't like May. The club hasn't won in May since 2009, 13 matches without a win.
- Kansas City opened the 2012 season with seven straight wins. It hasn't won in the four since, leaving it third in the East with 22 points from 11 games.
- Meanwhile San Jose has blazed to first overall with 27 points from 13 games.
- Alan Gordon has scored in the last minute or later in three consecutive games to salvage late points. Most recently he scored the winner against his former side the LA Galaxy to complete a 3-2 comeback win.
- San Jose last won in Kansas City in 2004, with KC boasting a six-game winning run against the 'Quakes.