Kansas City's recent five-game unbeaten streak came to an end last week, ahead of the match against the unbeaten-in-five Timbers.
|Sporting Kansas City (4-3-3): Nielsen; Myers, Collin, Besler, Sinovic; Nagamura, Rosell, Feilhaber; Zusi, Bieler, Sapong.
OUT: Teal Bunbury (L knee sprain), Jacob Peterson (R shoulder sprain)
|Portland Timbers (4-4-2): Ricketts; Jewsbury, Danso, Silvestre, Harrington; W. Johnson, Chara, Valeri; Nagbe, R. Johnson, Wallace.
OUT: Bright Dike (L ACL surgery), David Horst (R tibia plateau surgery), Brent Richards (L ACL surgery)
- Sporting Kansas City lost 2-0 to LA Galaxy last week, halting a five-game shutout streak and three-game winning run.
- Kansas City's shutout streak ended at 545 minutes, the fifth-longest in MLS history.
- Portland drew 1-1 with the San Jose Earthquakes last week to extend its unbeaten run to five games, tying a franchise record.
- These teams met once last season, with the Timbers claiming a 1-0 win at home on April 21. SKC won the two meetings in 2011.
- Sporting KC tops the Eastern Conference with 14 points from eight games. Portland has 10 points from seven, landing it fifth in the West.