The champions of Europe and South America meet in the Qatari capital looking to fine-tune preparations ahead of key World Cup qualifiers next month.
Arbeloa, Pique, Puyol, Alba
Fabregas, Busquets, Iniesta
Silva, Villa, Pedro
M Pereira, Lugano, Godin, A Pereira
Gonzalez, Arevalo, Gargano
Suarez, Forlan, Cavani
Spain playmaker Xavi will miss Wednesday’s friendly against Uruguay at the Khalifa International Stadium with a hamstring injury.
Real Madrid duo Xabi Alonso (groin) and Iker Casillas (hand) also miss out, while Javi Martinez, Roberto Soldado and Fernando Torres have all been omitted by coach Vicente del Bosque.
Defender Cesar Azpilicueta and playmaker Isco are both included in the 20-man squad and could make their international debuts off the bench.
Uruguay boss Oscar Tabarez is without midfielder Gaston Ramirez, who suffered a leg injury while on club duty for Southampton during the weekend.
La Celeste’s attacking trio of Luis Suarez, Diego Forlan and Edinson Cavani may start together for the first time since the 3-0 qualifying defeat to Argentina last October.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Spain is on a 17-match unbeaten run (W13, D4) stretching back to November 2011.
- La Roja have won two of their last three encounters against Uruguay.
- Carles Puyol (pictured, right) will become the seventh player to reach 100 appearances for Spain if he plays on Wednesday.
- Uruguay has won just one of its last six matches (W1, D2, L3).
- The South Americans are fifth in the CONMEBOL qualifying zone, eight points off leaders Argentina.
- Luis Suarez needs four more strikes to overtake Diego Forlan’s record of 33 goals and become Uruguay’s all-time leading scorer.