thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • May 19, 2013
  • • 11:00 AM
  • • St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton, Hampshire
  • Referee: L. Probert
  • • Attendance: 31539

Southampton 1-1 Stoke: Lambert strike forces draw in Owen's finale

Two English strikers find the back of the net as another, Michael Owen, bids farewell to football with a late cameo for the Potters, who finish the season a place above the Saints

Former Saint Peter Crouch’s goal was not enough to end Stoke City’s season on a high as Rickie Lambert cancelled out his effort to give Southampton a well-deserved point in a 1-1 draw in the last match of Michael Owen's career.

Crouch headed Tony Pulis’ Stoke ahead in the 47th minute following good wing play by U.S. international Geoff Cameron only for Lambert to level after sloppy defending 10 minutes later. Owen made his last professional appearance from the substitutes bench, coming on in the 74th minute.

Southampton top scorer Lambert appeared to have given his side the lead with less than two minutes on the clock when Adam Lallana saw his effort rebound off the post, and the 31-year-old smashed home the rebound. The home crowd’s celebrations were cut short, though, as the effort was ruled out for offside.

Lambert again came close to opening scoring 10 minutes later, following a misplaced pass by Peter Crouch. The forward‘s effort edged agonizingly wide of the post from 25 yards to keep the game scoreless.

As the game was played out in midfield, there was not another scare for the visitors until the 38th minute when Lallana dispossessed Robert Huth just outside his own penalty area. The lofty German reacted well though to make a last ditch challenge, to spare his blushes.

After being second best for the majority of the first half, Stoke City exploded out of the blocks at the start of the second period and took the lead two minutes later. Cameron delivered a delightful ball from a wide-right position that Crouch, who previously made 33 appearances for Southampton, nodded past Kelvin Davis with a deft finish.

The goal acted as a wake-up call for Maurico Pochettino’s men, and they came close to an immediate reply when Nathaniel Clyne escaped Ryan Shawcross down the right wing and found Steven Davis unmarked. He turned the ball goalwards first time, and forced Asmir Begovic to save low to his right.

Five minutes later Begovic again kept his side in front, this time turning away Lambert’s effort with his legs following a great interchange with Jay Rodriguez

Despite the in-form keeper’s best efforts, the hosts were level four minutes later, when Lallana’s cross was not dealt with by the Potters backline. The ball bounced around the area before Davis’ shot fell to Lambert, who rolled the ball home with ease.

The introduction of Owen, for his final appearance before retirement, was met with cheers from all around the ground but that was to be the only other talking point in what was a dull second half, as both sides seemed content with the draw.

The result sees Stoke finish the season one place and point above Southampton, as they sit 13th and 14th in the final table, respectively.

Follow GOAL.COM on