Italy will look to pull away from Slovenia at the top of Group C...
|Slovenia: S. Handanovic; Brecko, Suler, Cesar, Jokic; Radosavljevic; Birsa, Ilicic, Koren; Novakovic, Matavz
| Italy: Buffon; Maggio, Chiellini, Bonucci, Balzaretti; Montolivo, Motta, Aquilani, Mauri; Pazzini, Cassano
- Slovenia have picked up two wins over Italy in their last five encounters (W2 D1 L2).
- Slovenia have yet to lose to the Azzurri at home (W1 D1).
- The last four matches between the teams have been decided by a single goal.
- Seven players in the Slovenian squad currently ply their trade in Serie A.
- Tim Matavz has scored three goals in three games in the qualifying campaign.
- Italy are currently three points ahead of Slovenia at the top of Group C.
- Daniele De Rossi and Mario Balotelli were left out of the squad for disciplinary reasons.
- Six different players have scored for Italy during the current qualifying campaign.
- Antonio Cassano leads the Azzurri in scoring with two goals.
- Andrea Ranocchia was unable to shake off his knee injury and has been ruled out of Friday's encounter.
October 8, 2005
: Italy 1-0 Slovenia
Italy qualified for the 2006 World Cup with a narrow win over Slovenia at the Renzo Barbera in Palermo. Cristian Zaccardo was the hero as he came off the bench to net the winner in the 77th minute.Follow Goal.com on to get the latest soccer news directly. Check out Goal.com's page; be part of the best soccer fan community in the world!