The top two teams in MLS duke it out for a third time this season in what is quickly becoming the one of most enticing machups in the league.
|San Jose Earthquakes (4-4-2): Busch; Beitashour, Bernardez, Hernandez, Morrow; Chavez, Baca, Cronin, Dawkins; Lenhart, Wondolowski.
OUT: MF Sam Garza (rib fracture); MF Joey Gjertsen (R knee surgery); DF Tim Ward (L non-specific soft tissue injury); DOUBTFUL: MF Simon Dawkins (L shoulder sprain)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Ike Opara (L hip flexor strain)
|Real Salt Lake (4-4-2): Rimando; Beltran, Borchers, Olave, Wingert; Steele, Beckerman, Morales, Johnson; Espindola, Saborio.
OUT: DF Chris Schuler (L foot bone stress response)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Ned Grabavoy (L adductor strain)
PROBABLE: MF Javier Morales (R knee hyperextension); DF Nat Borchers (L quadriceps strain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- These teams have the two best records in the league. San Jose is one point ahead, largely thanks to two previous wins over RSL.
- Alvaro Saborio's first MLS hat trick, against the Portland Timbers last week, moved him up to third on the league scoring charts, with 10 overall.
- Marvin Chavez has eight assists this year. He had six in the previous three seasons combined. Chris Wondolowski leads the league with 14 goals. San Jose's 36 goals is also the best in MLS.
- Both teams made moves this week. The Earthquakes cut Tressor Moreno and Anthony Ampaipitakwong loose, and Salt Lake signed forward Justin Braun.
- Ramiro Corrales is suspended for this match. Saborio is one booking away from a suspension.