thumbnail Hello,


  • May 21, 2011
  • • 10:30 PM
  • • Buck Shaw Stadium, Santa Clara, California
  • Referee: Y. Reyes
  • • Attendance: 9736

San Jose Earthquakes 2-1 New England Revolution: Second half surge leads Quakes to second straight win

San Jose Earthquakes 2-1 New England Revolution: Second half surge leads Quakes to second straight win

San Jose got goals by a rookie and a long-time vet to propel it to a victory over the New England Revolution.

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- For a second consecutive match at Buck Shaw Stadium, the San Jose Earthquakes made a second half run after a scoreless first half. In front of 9,736 fans, Quakes rookie Ellis McLoughlin put in one and Bobby Convey another, as the Quakes topped the New England Revolution Saturday night, 2-1.

First Half

After both sides traded possessions, with neither getting deep into the oppositions final third, the Earthquakes got the first real scoring chance in the seventh minute. Joey Gjertsen and Steven Lenhart teamed up for a one-two that left Gjertsen open for a shot 20 yards from goal. With his strong left foot, Gjertsen fired at Revolution keeper Matt Reis, but came up empty when the veteran parried the shot wide.

Lenhart was in the middle of things for the Earthquakes' next chance in the 13th minute. San Jose’s striker drew a foul on newly-acquired Revolution midfielder Benny Feilhaber 25 yards out. On the ensuing free kick, Khari Stephenson, who is becoming notorious for his deadly strikes from long range, beat Reis but nailed the crossbar, keeping the match scoreless.

It wasn’t until the 25th minute when New England had its first chance threatening Jon Busch’s goal. Long time Revolution midfielder Shalrie Joseph was on the receiving end of a Chris Tierney pass. He took one touch, leaving him about 30 yards from goal, and fired, only to have Busch punch the ball away from goal.

New England put a scare in the Buck Shaw Stadium faithful when Quakes defender Ike Opara turned the ball over at the top of the box. Tierney pounced on the loose ball and made his way inside where he was taken down. No call was made, however, as head referee Yader Reyes deemed Tierney to have fallen on his own in the 37th minute.

San Jose got its next quality chance off a corner in the 39th minute when Lenhart, who was all over the play in the Quakes offensive third, directed a Bobby Convey corner toward goal, but missed wide of the target. New England eventually cleared the ball away from danger.

Chances at goal were scarce. New England, despite not having a number of chances, was playing very crisp soccer, completing a string of passes in every possession it had throughout the half. 

Lenhart was the lone bright spot for San Jose. In the 45th minute, off another free kick, he flicked a header on goal that was just high of the target. The half ended in a scoreless draw.

Second Half

Early on in the second half, the Earthquakes cleaned up the turnover issues and in the 47th minute, strung three passes together to get a solid try on goal. Chris Leitch hit a 20-yard pass to the feet of Chris Wondolowski who one-touched a diagonal ball to a streaking Gjertsen on the right flank. Gjertsen made headway into the box where he sent a half-cross, half-shot toward Reis who made a lunging stop.

In the 56th minute, New England had its first chance of the second half when Rajko Lekic beat his defender to the spot of a 50-50 ball in the box. Lekic, however, could only graze the ball and trickle it towards Busch, who gobbled it up with ease.

As play progressed in the second half, it went from crisp to chippy. On nearly every possession for a 10-minute span, play was halted due to an infringement, with a couple yellow cards -- Convey in the 53rd and Lenhart in the 57th -- being dished out.

When play seemed to come to a standstill, the Earthquakes shook things up in the 71st minute. Wondolowski took the ball on the right flank about 15 yards from goal. After shaking his defender with a cut move onto his left foot, the Earthquakes leading scorer sent in a cross that second half sub Ellis McLoughlin ran onto. With no one marking him, McLoughlin, who just entered the game two minutes prior, buried a header into the far side netting for his first career MLS goal.

San Jose put the game out of reach 12 minutes later. Much like how Lenhart nearly set up a goal by drawing a free kick in the offensive third in the first half, he did just that in the second. Lenhart drew a foul just outside the box in the 82nd minute. This time, Convey took the kick. In the 83rd minute, he buried the kick to the far corner in the upper 90, beating Reis.

New England tried to get back, but there wasn’t enough time. Tierney scored with his left foot on a free kick about 30 yards from goal, sliding a low liner past Busch in the 86th minute, but its all the Revs could get back.

Keep updated with Major League Soccer by visiting's MLS page and joining's page.