thumbnail Hello,


  • April 30, 2011
  • • 10:00 PM
  • • CenturyLink Field, Seattle, Washington
  • Referee: R. Salazar
  • • Attendance: 36287

Seattle Sounders FC 3-0 Toronto FC: Win extends unbeaten streak

Seattle Sounders FC 3-0 Toronto FC: Win extends unbeaten streak

Troy Zielonka

Midfielder Brad Evans notched two goals and an assist in a dominant victory over Toronto.

SEATTLE – Seattle Sounders FC (3-2-3) remained unbeaten for the month of April and extended their streak to six matches without a loss. With the defeat, Toronto FC (1-3-4) now has four draws and two losses in the same timeframe.

First Half

Seattle struck in the 9th minute of play to take an early 1-0 lead. Midfielder Brad Evans placed a perfect cross into the left side of the six-yard box to the waiting Alvaro Fernandez. The Uruguayan headed it past Toronto ‘keeper Stefan Frei to notch his second goal of the year. Evans earned an assist on the tally, his first of the 2011 season.

Two minutes later, the home crowd stood in unison and chanted the name of Steve
Zakuani. The 36,287 in attendance held up placards with the number 11 on it to honor their electrifying midfielder. Zakuani suffered a horrific season-ending leg fracture in the team's previous matchup with Colorado that ended his campaign prematurely.

Toronto had their best threat of the match in the 29th minute on a perfect through pass from forward Alen Stevanovic to Javier Martina. With Seattle’s Tyson Wahl draped all over him at the top of the box, the streaking Martina managed to get a shot off that barely missed the left post.

With ten minutes remaining in the half, Fernandez dove down low in front of the Toronto goal to redirect Montero’s cross, heading the ball towards the right post. However, Toronto goalie Frei was in a perfect position to catch the ball and stop the Seattle threat.

The halftime statistics bore out Seattle’s domination in the opening 45 minutes. Toronto managed one lone shot to the Sounders’ seven, with two those on goal. The home side also held the edge in possession time (53% - 47%).

Second Half

Frei made the save of the game in the opening minutes of the second half. Montero sent a swerving shot that required the Toronto ‘keeper to extend his right hand at the last minute to prevent Seattle’s second goal.

The Sounders continued to keep the visitors pinned in their own side of the pitch. Their efforts were rewarded in the 52nd minute. Montero’s pass found Evans on a full run to his right. He nailed a hard right footer that evaded Frei and sailed inside the left post. The strike was Evans’ second goal of the year.

Evans missed a golden opportunity to notch another goal in the 64th minute. Seattle right back James Riley found the speedy midfielder open between two Toronto defenders. This time his rising shot missed the mark and rose high over the crossbar and into the crowd.

In the 74th minute, Toronto’s Mikael Yourassowsky was whistled for a handball inside the box area.  Referee Ricardo Salazar immediately pointed to the penalty spot. Evans stepped up and struck the penalty past the diving Toronto goalie for his second tally and third point of the match.

Seattle’s Kasey Keller finally had to make a stop seven minutes later. Yourassowky forced the veteran ‘keeper to extend his hands to keep his shutout intact. Keller kept the visitors off the scoreboard for the remainder of the match to earn his second clean sheet of year.

Follow on to get the latest soccer news directly. Check out's page; be part of the best soccer fan community in the world!