thumbnail Hello,


  • May 25, 2011
  • • 10:00 PM
  • • CenturyLink Field, Seattle, Washington
  • Referee: B. Toledo
  • • Attendance: 36026

Seattle Sounders 0-1 FC Dallas: Brek Shea goal wins it for Hoops

Seattle Sounders 0-1 FC Dallas: Brek Shea goal wins it for Hoops

Getty Images

The home side pressured for most of the second half, but couldn't find an equalizer.

Seattle Sounders FC fell 1-0 to FC Dallas on another rainy and wet night in Seattle. The rain certainly has been a recurring theme of late in Seattle, but it could not keep away 36,026 dedicated fans who braved the rain in the first half. Sigi Schmid again was forced to make line-up changes due to injuries and frustrations with offensive production. Forward Mike Fucito got the start alongside Fredy Montero.

First Half

The first five minutes of play began with FC Dallas playing a physical and aggressive style of play. Seattle midfielders Mauro Rosales and Erik Friberg were both knocked off of balls on physical challenges early.

Both sides continued to go back and forth with neither side really making much of any opportunity. They both seemed unable to string together more than two consecutive passes as both defenses seemed sharp and ready to pounce.

In the 14th minute Rosales would find Fucito with a lovely chip pass into Dallas’ box. Fucito was able to fire a shot but unfortunately for Seattle it would end up going wide left.  

The first goal of the evening came when FC Dallas midfielder Brek Shea received a through ball from midfielder Andrew Jacobsen. Shea beat Jhon Kennedy Hurtado and Jeff Parke and slotted it past goalkeeper Kasey Keller.

Almost immediately after the score Seattle would counter when Hurtado found Sounders midfielder Alvaro Fernandez up the left side. Fernandez played a cross into the box to Friberg whose shot was cleared off of the line by Dallas defender Zach Loyd.

Dallas would have a good chance in the 25th minute with Fabian Castillo beat Parke on the right and worked nicely into the Sounders 18-yard box where his shot went just wide left of the post.

Seattle countered in the 26th minute when Rosales played a cross from the left side to Friberg who was left unmarked. His header was directly at goalkeeper Kevin Hartman.

In the 28th minute Montero would go to the pitch when he collided with Dallas captain Daniel Hernandez’ elbow. Montero’s free kick proved to be harmless as it was deflected clear by several Dallas defenders.

The next 10-plus minutes of play went without any true scoring opportunities. Both sides used the entire pitch as Seattle looked to equalize and Dallas looked to net their second. However, in the 43rd minute Montero was able chip a ball in to Rosales inside Dallas’ box. Rosales' left-footed shot would end up being directly at Hartman.

In the 45th minute Dallas countered and forward Marvin Chavez threaded a great cross from the right side to a breaking Shea. Shea’s chipped cross went wide of the post however.

Second Half

The second half began with the Sounders attacking hard. An early Rosales cross was played just out of Montero’s reach and was deflected outside the box to Alonso. Alonso’s shot was blocked and cleared by Dallas.

In the 55th minute Shea played a long and low cross that was dummied by Castillo and played by Chavez. Chavez drove a hard shot to Keller’s left and he safely played it out for a Dallas corner.

In the 58th minute Montero took a cross from Fernandez inside the Dallas box. Montero was nicely defended and he eventually laid the ball off to Alonso. Alonso’s low drive was deflected harmlessly away by FC Dallas.

In the 64th minute Alonso played a pass forward to Fucito who took a hard shot that Hartman was able to punch over the cross bar with his right-hand.

In the 66th minute Leo Gonzalez’ throw-in found Fucito in the Dallas box. Fucito would snap a header that was punched clear by Hartman who made a two-handed save. The ricochet would fall to Fucito who was unable to get a clean follow up shot. Hartman was certainly making a great case to be man of the match this evening.

In the 72nd minute Seattle had a quality chance when Gonzalez played a ball into the middle for Rosales. Rosales shot was blocked and Dallas would eventually clear the ball. However, momentum was building in favor of Seattle. Schmid made a substitution in the 75th minute bringing on Nate Jaqua and bringing off Montero. This move provided some size in Seattle’s attacking third.

In the 78th minute, Friberg would make a darting run into the Dallas box and was brought to the ground by Dallas midfielder Jackson. It appears that contact was made and Seattle’s fans certainly felt there was. However after viewing the replay it appears that referee Baldomero Toledo was correct as contact appeared to be incidental.

Seattle would have another great opportunity in the 84th minute when Friberg received a ball deep inside the Dallas box. However, he was unable to find a sufficient opening and was unable to pull the trigger. The ball would eventually go out for a Seattle corner.

Four minutes of stoppage time was awarded and Seattle launched attack after attack for nearly the entire four minuts.  Dallas pulled 10 men back into the box for the final minutes making a Seattle attack nearly impossible. They would find a few opportunities but non of them would prove to be dangerous.

Seattle will head to Salt Lake for a game on Saturday night and it certainly has to feel that it deserved more from tonight’s match. After stealing three points late from Sporting Kansas City the Sounders may feel they deserved at least a point from tonight’s match. Dallas will leave Seattle feeling they played a very good match. Dallas can be especially thankful for its back-line and Hartman’s dominant performance.

For more on Major League Soccer, visit's MLS page and join USA's Facebook fan page!