The league's best offense takes on the league's stingiest defense when the Red Bulls return from winning the Emirates Cup to take on RSL.
Real Salt Lake (4-4-2): Rimando; Beltran, Schuler, Borchers, Wingert; Alvarez, Beckerman, Williams, Johnson; Saborio, Espindola.
OUT: MF Javier Morales (L ankle fracture dislocation); DF Jamison Olave (L knee MCL strain); MF Nelson Gonzalez (R foot fracture); GK Kyle Reynish (concussion)
DOUBTFUL: FW Paulo Jr. (L hamstring strain); MF Ned Grabavoy (L hamstring strain);
QUESTIONABLE: DF Tony Beltran (L calf strain)
PROBABLE: FW Fabian Espindola (L hamstring strain), FW Alvaro Saborio (R knee swelling)
New York Red Bulls (4-4-2): Rost; Solli, Marquez, Ream, Miller; Lindpere, Tainio, McCarty, Richards; Henry, Agudelo.
OUT: FW Luke Rodgers (plantar fasciitis)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Joel Lindpere (lower back injury); GK Frank Rost (R quad strain)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- The Red Bulls return to MLS play after winning the Emirates Cup in London, after defeating France’s Paris Saint-Germain 1-0 in the opening match, then tying host Arsenal 1-1.
Real Salt Lake lost for just the second time in 37 regular-season games all-time at Rio Tinto Stadium in last weekend’s 2-0 loss to Columbus.
- Jason Kreis' take on team morale following that loss: "It better be real bad because my morale is real bad."
- RSL has a three-game unbeaten streak going against New York.
- Four Red Bulls received international callups this week. Juan Agudelo and Tim Ream will join up with the USA to square off against Rafael Marquez and Mexico in an Aug. 10 friendly. Bouna Coundoul will represent Senegal in a friendly against Morocco. RSL's Kyle Beckerman also received a call-up for the U.S. team.
- New York leads the league in scoring, with 34 goals this season, and Salt Lake boasts the best defense in the league, having conceded just 14 in 19 games.