thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • May 12, 2013
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • Loftus Road Stadium, London
  • Referee: L. Probert
  • • Attendance: 17278

QPR 1-2 Newcastle: Gouffran steers Pardew’s men towards safety

An early penalty from Loic Remy gave the home side the lead but Hatem Ben Arfa also scored from the spot to equalize before the Frenchman capitalized on Rob Green's fatal error.

LONDON-- Jose Bosingwa was at fault for two crucial goals as Newcastle left Loftus Road with a priceless 2-1 win against QPR on Saturday.

Loic Remy put the home side ahead with an early penalty but Hatem Ben Arfa equalized with a spot kick of his own, before Yann Gouffran was afforded the luxury of an empty net to give Newcastle the lead.

The home side improved in the second half – but was still nowhere near good enough to grind any kind of result out and the Magpies held on to clinch a three vital points.

The result does not guarantee safety for Alan Pardew’s men but it does leave the club six points clear of 18th-placed Wigan – which only has two games left to play.

Both sides set out with attacking lineups as Harry Redknapp named a front three of Remy, Junior Hoilett and Bobby Zamora, while the visiting side lined up with Gouffran and Ben Arfa in behind top scorer Papiss Cisse.

It was the home side which came racing out of the blocks – despite enough noise from the away end to make it seem like Newcastle was on its own ground.

QPR was rewarded with a goal after just 10 minutes as Hoilett advanced into the penalty area and was brought down by Mathieu Debuchy.

There seemed to be a hint of simulation as Hoillett tumbled to the ground but that didn’t stop the clinical Remy from stepping up and slotting home past keeper Rob Elliot.

Newcastle hit back just minutes later – and in identical fashion. Bosingwa – booed by the home fans throughout the first 15 minutes – was penalized for pulling Ben Arfa’s shirt inside the area and the Frenchman stepped up to rocket the ensuing spot kick straight into the top corner.

Newcastle once again found itself on the back foot thereafter as Elliot was forced into two vital stops on the half-hour mark.

But Newcastle would strike next – and with a simply comical goal. Bosingwa, by this point treated as public enemy number one by the home supporters – played a short back pass to Rob Green, who was then left under tremendous pressure. The keeper fumbled his clearance and Gouffran coolly finished into an empty net.

Bosingwa was deservedly hauled off at halftime but the Magpies’ lead carried into the break and far beyond.

Hoilett tried to inject some urgency into the home team after an hour as he made his way past several yellow shirts to fashion a good opening – but the shot that followed sailed narrowly wide of Elliot’s goal.

Then, the away side came close as a swarm of shirts contested a loose ball in the QPR danger area. Jonas Gutierrez came closest to scoring but the home defense did just enough to clear.

In one final twist, Elliot was sent off after he picked the ball up outside his area and the visiting team was down to 10 men. Newcastle held on, however, and is now on the cusp of Premier League safety.

Follow GOAL.COM on