thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • January 29, 2013
  • • 2:45 PM
  • • Loftus Road Stadium, London
  • Referee: P. Dowd
  • • Attendance: 17894

QPR 0-0 Manchester City: Champions slip up in title pursuit

A disallowed Sergio Aguero goal and Pablo Zabaleta's header off the crossbar were as close as the visitors came to claiming a much-needed three points at Loftus Road on Tuesday

A stubborn defensive performance from QPR held Manchester City to a 0-0 draw in tricky conditions at Loftus Road on Tuesday night.

Pablo Zabaleta's diving header and a disallowed Sergio Aguero goal were as close as Roberto Mancini's side came to breaking the deadlock leaving the Premier League champions to rue a missed opportunity to keep pace with Manchester United.

Playing in the face of a swirling gale, much of QPR's first 45 minutes was spent in its own half as the club soaked up continuous pressure from its illustrious visitors. Though Julio Cesar at times called his own international credentials into question with a pair of ill-judged punches – one of which should have been punished by Joleon Lescott, who volleyed over – the hosts were resolute and tough to break down. This was emblematic of a side that kept Chelsea and Tottenham scoreless in recent clashes.

A thunderous Javi Garcia half-volley from almost 40 yards had Cesar flying to his right, while the Rs had the woodwork to thank on 20 minutes as David Silva's enterprising run and cross picked out Zabaleta, who was left to curse the crossbar for preventing his diving header rippling the net.

Though content to sit back, QPR did pockmark the half with a couple of chances as firstly the brilliant Adel Taarabt found Loic Remy with a quick free kick, but the Frenchman watched his shot deflect past Joe Hart's far post. On 39 minutes, Taarabt was again the instigator, as he broke from a City corner and drove from the halfway line and into Hart's box, beating Gael Clichy with a trademark stepover. The Moroccan's left-foot effort was brilliantly deflected to safety by Hart's elbow though.

Roberto Mancini's side threatened to break the deadlock and looked to have done so as Aguero finished low beyond Cesar, only to be denied by the linesman's flag. Then, on the stroke of halftime Gareth Barry's first-time strike from the edge of the box was tipped expertly behind by a wonderful one-handed save from Cesar to bring an intriguing half to a close.

City continued to dominate play in the early stages of the second half, helped by the introduction of Edin Dzeko for Samir Nasri, but was kept at bay by the QPR backline. At the other end, Taarabt continued to mesmerise as he dribbled from the left flank, inside Javi Garcia and watched agonisingly as his curled effort flew wide of the far post.

The match was finely poised heading into the final half hour but the Premier League champions were again kept at bay by Cesar, who clung on to a powerful Silva volley, before Aguero volleyed high into the away supporters following Zabaleta's deft header across the box.

Remy's pace on the break kept the City defense honest and remained QPR's sole outlet and for a moment it looked to have handed the hosts a penalty, as Remy tumbled over Lescott's outstretched leg. Phil Dowd though, correctly chose to wave play on as replays showed there was minimal, if any, contact.

A late surge from the visitors tested Cesar's reflexes once more but the Brazilian was up to the task, pouncing on Silva's close-range finish to maintain his clean sheet, before Dowd's eyesight was again tested as substitute Scott Sinclair tumbled under Nedum Onuoha's challenge.

Follow GOAL.COM on