Back to business for Jose Mourinho's side after the Clasico loss on Saturday as it travels to Leon to start the defense of its Copa del Rey title
Malo, Alcaide, Samuel, Dani Carril
Acoran, Baro, Ruiz, Jonathan
Arbeloa, Albiol, Varane, Marcelo
Callejon, Kaka, Granero
The Clasico match will certainly have been emotionally and physically taxing for the Real Madrid players on Saturday, so Jose Mourinho will likely give his fringe players a chance to impress in the Copa del Rey against Ponferradina, who compete in Spanish Segunda B Group 2.
Antonio Adan will be given a start for Madrid in goal, with Rafael Varane and Raul Albiol coming in at center back. Arbeloa may be given a run out at right back after just returning from injury.
Hamit Altintop did not start in the Clasico so he will start in midfield and will likely be partnered by Nuri Sahin in the Madrid midfield engine. Jose Callejon will start on the right, with Kaka and Esteban Granero making up the attacking midfield three.
Gonzalo Higuain had to settle for a place on the bench against Barcelona so he will start up top in the lone striker role.
Ponferradina is the definite underdogs going into the match, but it will be looking to star player Yuri to help his side achieve an upset.
||DID YOU KNOW|
- This is the first time in history that Ponferradina has played Real Madrid.
- Ponferradina is currently second in Spanish Segunda B Group 2, with 31 points taken from 17 games.
- Brazilian striker Yuri is Ponferradina's top goalscorer so far this season, with five goals.
- This is Real Madrid's first Copa del Rey match since defeating Barcelona in the final last season. Ponferradina have already played three matches in the cup so far.
- Real Madrid won the Copa del Rey in the 2010/2011 season, the first time it had achieved this since the 92/93 campaign, in which it defeated Real Zaragoza in the final.
- Madrid's arch rivals Barcelona has won the Copa del Rey more times than anyone, with 25 titles.