thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • August 21, 2011
  • • 8:30 AM
  • • Carrow Road, Norwich, Norfolk
  • Referee: N. Swarbrick
  • • Attendance: 26272

Norwich City 1-1 Stoke City: Last-gasp Kenwyne Jones equalizer denies 10-man hosts first win since promotion

Norwich City 1-1 Stoke City: Last-gasp Kenwyne Jones equalizer denies 10-man hosts first win since promotion

Getty Images

An injury time equalizer from Kenwyne Jones helps Stoke to claim a point after Richie De Laet had scored Norwich's first home goal back in the Premier League.

Stoke City striker Kenwyne Jones helped his side claim a valuable away point in a 1-1 draw. It did put a damper on Norwich City’s party after defender Richie De Laet had scored the first goal for the hosts on their return to the top flight.

Paul Lambert's men started off the better, backed by a full house on their return to the top flight of English football, while their opponents looked sluggish early on, as the exerts of their midweek trip to Switzerland against FC Thun looked to have caught up with Tony Pulis’s unit as they failed to find a creative spark.

Norwich to pepper the Stoke penalty area for much of the first half, with Elliot Bennett swinging the ball into the box for Grant Holt, allowing the Norwich striker to find Anthony Pilkington on the left edge of the area. He attempted to find Chris Martin, but he couldn’t connect with the ball to put the Canaries into a well-deserved lead.

Things then went from bad to worse for the Stoke manager as Jonathan Woodgate gave away a free kick for a clumsy foul on the right wing, which the former Tottenham centre-back found himself yellow carded for.

Johnson then swung the free kick in from the right hand side onto the head of the onrushing De Laet, who from just inside the area, directed the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the Stoke net, beyond the reach of the outstretching Asmir Begovic in the Potters goal.

Carrow goal | De Laet claims the first home goal for Norwich

Stoke boss Pulis clearly had some harsh words for his team during the break as they came out of the traps flying. Firstly a long pass landed at the feet of Kenwyne Jones, but before the striker could get his shot off the ball was cleared, but only to Pugh, who from the left hand side of the box blasted the ball over the bar.

Then minutes later Stoke were handed another golden opportunity to get level as Walters raced towards the box, getting on the wrong side of Barnett and with the striker approaching the box the defender caught him and referee Swarbrick decided to award a penalty and sent off Barnett.

Walters then got up and stepped up to take the spot kick, but he couldn’t find a way past Ruddy, who went down to his left and saved the ball, which was then eventually cleared by the Norwich defence.

Then deep into injury time Stoke got the goal they were looking for as the ball was floated into the box allowing Jones to out jump the home defence and put the ball into the corner of the net to claim a point from their visit to Carrow Road.