thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • April 7, 2012
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • Carrow Road, Norwich, Norfolk
  • Referee: A. Marriner
  • • Attendance: 26554

Norwich 2-2 Everton: Holt equalizer denies Moyes' men a victory despite Jelavic double

Norwich 2-2 Everton: Holt equalizer denies Moyes' men a victory despite Jelavic double

Getty Images

The Canaries came from behind twice to draw with the Toffess in a hard fought match that saw both teams move up the Premier League table

Norwich City came back twice to draw 2-2 with Everton in a game that saw both teams deservedly share the points at Carrow Road.

Nikica Jelavic opened the scoring for Everton but Norwich replied five minutes before halftime with Jonny Howson equalizing for the home side. Everton then regained the lead in the second half as Jelavic again put the Toffees ahead only to see Grant Holt slot the ball home to ensure the points were shared.

The work rate from both teams was incredible and either side looked like going on to win the game. Everton still remain a point clear of Merseyside rivals Liverpool while Norwich lie two points off a tenth place finish.  

Both teams started brightly in the opening 20 minutes of the match but either side failed to find a finish product despite their hard work-rate and determination.

Everton’s first genuine chance of the game resulted in a goal for the away side. On 23 minutes Jelavic scored a side footed effort in the six-yard box. Phil Neville passed from a free kick to Phil Jagielka who sent in a low cross into the box for Jelavic to put in the back of the net.

Norwich then showed more effort to get forward as Everton had to deal with the increasing pressure Norwich started to apply.

On the 39th minute Norwich finally found a break through with its only genuine chance of the game. Wesley Hoolahan made a darting run into the box and drove a low cross across the six-year box for Howson to tap it in and score his first goal for the Canaries.    

Leighton Baines who picked up a yellow card early on in the first half was lucky to stay on the pitch after sliding in high on David Fox which deserved a second yellow card.

Norwich continued to get forward and finish the first-half on a high. The Canaries had two penalty shouts near the end of the first half. The first was a collision between Elliott Bennett and two Everton defenders but was rightly denied by referee Andre Marriner.

Norwich’s second penalty shout was more convincing as Jagielka looked to have blocked Andrew Surman’s shout with his hand but the referee again decided not to give a penalty as the first-half came to an end.

After the restart, Norwich started off strong applying pressure on the Everton goal with a couple of half chances.

Howson then tested Tim Howard with a great shot that Howard could only parry away.  

Everton then scored a second goal on the 69th minute thanks to a controversial decision by the referee. Steven Pienaar obstructed play by trapping the ball between his legs but no foul was given and he played it forward to Jelavic who once again guided the ball into the back of the net.

The second Everton goal had took a lot out of the Canaries as their hard work was undone by poor mistakes from referee Andre Marriner.

On 76 minutes Holt equalized for Norwich as the Canaries picked themselves up to apply pressure on the Everton goal.

Aaron Wilbraham saw his shot saved by Howard but he had the awareness to set up Holt who slotted the ball home for Norwich and make it 2-2.  

Both teams looked like going on to win the game with half chances but neither side could convert their final chances for the three points.  

Follow GOAL.COM USA on