thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • September 23, 2012
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • St. James' Park, Newcastle upon Tyne
  • Referee: N. Swarbrick
  • • Attendance: 49402

Newcastle 1-0 Norwich: Ba nets winner to spare Cisse's blushes after penalty miss

Newcastle 1-0 Norwich: Ba nets winner to spare Cisse's blushes after penalty miss

Getty Images

The Magpies forward bagged his third goal in two games to seal the win for the home side, which survived a few scares and missed a penalty of on route to victory.

A first-half goal from Demba Ba was enough to give Newcastle a hard-fought home win over Norwich.

The first chance of the game produced its first goal, and came against the run of play, as the home side went on its first real attack.

Hatem Ben Arfa cut in from the right, after being given too much spac, before playing a delightful chipped pass through the middle for Ba, who coolly slotted the ball past the advancing Ruddy.

It would be Ben Arfa who would deliver the game’s next opportunity, as he nearly went from provider to goalscorer on 22 minutes. The former Lille man was inches a way from latching on to a pass, but missed the ball as he tried to lob Ruddy.

Norwich remained a threat on the break, though, and soon produced another chance. A swift Canaries break down the left flank saw Andrew Surman’s cross met strongly by Robert Snodgrass, whose header was hacked off the line.

Before halftime there was already looking to be a clear contender for man of the match. More fantastic play from Ben Arfa saw him run past Surman before slipping a precise pass into the path of Ba, but the striker couldn’t connect, allowing Ruddy to pick up the pieces.

With the visitors looking to see the game out until the break, clumsy defending by Turner gave Newcastle the chance to double the lead. The Norwich center back barged into Williamson in the box, making the referee’s decision an easy one.

Out-of-sorts striker Papiss Cisse stepped up to take the spot kick, but blazed over, leaving his side with a narrow lead going into the second period.

Norwich began the second half as it had started the first. Almost immediately, Surman should have leveled the score, but was foiled by Steve Harper after Wes Hoolahan had threaded a pass through the Newcastle defense.

Ben Arfa also carried on where he left off though, once again cutting inside and firing a low effort, which was well saved by Ruddy on 56 minutes.

Both sides continued to slug it out in midfield without creating many clear cut opportunities.

The match ended in a scrappy fashion as Norwich continued to press, with players from both sides receiving yellow cards for respective poor challenges.

Follow GOAL.COM USA on