Trailing by two points atop the Eastern Conference, New York defends its unbeaten home record against Sporting.
|New York Red Bulls (4-4-2): Gaudette; Lade, Holgersson, Pearce, Conde; McCarty, Marquez, Cahill, Solli; Henry, Cooper.
OUT: GK Ryan Meara (L hip surgery); DF Roy Miller (groin strain)
|Sporting Kansas City (4-3-3): Nielsen; Myers, Besler, Collin, Sinovic; Espinoza, Cesar, Nagamura; Zusi, Sapong, Kamara.
OUT: FW Teal Bunbury (L knee ACL tear); DF Cyprian Hedrick (L fibula fracture)
DOUBTFUL: FW Bobby Convey (R hamstring strain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- These teams, meeting for the second of three times at the tail end of the regular season, are separated by two points at the top of the Eastern Conference. They drew the earlier meeting this year.
- New York is riding a five-game unbeaten streak after a come-from-behind 3-1 win over the Columbus Crew, capped by an 'olympico' from Thierry Henry. That was Henry's 13th goal this year, the fourth-most in MLS.
- Henry's first in that game was assisted by Rafael Marquez, making his first start since July 15.
- Graham Zusi assisted on C.J. Sapong's equalizer against Houston over the weekend, moving Zusi to joint-first in the assist column in MLS. Sapong's goal was his first since June 16.
- New York has the best home record in MLS (10-0-3) and Kansas City boasts the best road record (7-4-2).