thumbnail Hello,


  • April 9, 2011
  • • 7:30 PM
  • • Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Massachusetts
  • Referee: J. Anno
  • • Attendance: 7970

New England Revolution 0-2 Real Salt Lake: RSL reserves hand Revs first loss of the season

New England Revolution 0-2 Real Salt Lake: RSL reserves hand Revs first loss of the season

Salt Lake earned its third league win with a 2-0 result over the New England. The Revs struggled against an RSL reserve side for their first loss of the season.

Real Salt Lake, fresh off a CONCACAF Champions League semifinal victory midweek against Costa Rican side Saprissa, rested many key players to start the game against New England.  Nine of Real Salt Lake’s starters did not start the match, including captain Kyle Beckerman and goalkeeper Nick Rimando.

New England only had three lineup changes from the squad that played Vancouver on Wednesday. The biggest of those changes was the return of outside midfielder Marko Perovic.

First Half

The first 20 minutes of the match produced almost no action. The first real chance of the game was from Real Salt Lake’s midfielder Will Johnson. The Canadian took a free kick in the 21st toward the far post but Bobby Shuttleworth made a good save.

New England got its first real effort at goal in the 25th minute from outside midfielder Kenny Mansally. Mansally, never afraid to try his luck, rocketed a shot just over the bar of Real Salt Lake from about 35 yards out.

Real Salt lake quickly found form and earned a corner from a great shot by midfielder Ned Grabavoy. Collen Warner took the corner and delivered a great ball six yards from goal, where Chris Schuler headed the ball past Shuttleworth.

New England finished out the half with some decent passing. In the 42nd minute the Revs got their best chance of the game from a good setup by defender Kevin Alston, who crossed the ball to Pat Phelan. Phelan’s header was just a bit wide.

Second Half

New England coach Steve Nicol started the second half by making two changes. Forward Illija Stolica came on for Stephen McCarthy and Sainey Nyassi came on for Zack Schillawski. Nicol changed up the New England formation with pairing Stolica and Perovic as forwards.

New England's changes did not pan out as it was burned on a counter attack in the 47th minute.

“We made the changes and then we give the ball away at the half field line and then we end up going two down," Nicol bemoaned.

Collen Warner earned his second assist of the game, supplying a great ball too Paulo Jr. The Brazilian took the ball on a break and slotted it right by Shuttleworth.

“The ball happened to come out for me. From there I saw Paulo’s run and it was pretty straightforward,” Collen Warner said of the second goal he helped create. Warner seemed to have the best performance of the night as he earned his first two career assists.

This put New England out of the game. The run of play for the rest of the half for the Revolution was met with poor service and a shutdown defense from Real Salt Lake.

In the 69th minute play on the field got ugly. Shalrie Joesph was issued a straight red card for his altercation with substitute Beckerman.

The cards kept coming in the 85th minute as New England midfielder Pat Phelan was issued a striaght red card for a stray tackle coming in late. Both teams came together after the foul in which a second yellow card and subsequent red was issued to Will Johnson.

Real Salt Lake held the ball for the reminder of the half and walked away with a deserved win.

Follow on to get the latest soccer news directly. Check out's page; be part of the best soccer fan community in the world!