thumbnail Hello,


  • May 7, 2011
  • • 7:30 PM
  • • Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Massachusetts
  • Referee: D. Gantar
  • • Attendance: 11755

New England Revolution 0-0 Colorado Rapids: Revs can't find the back of the net against Colorado

New England Revolution 0-0 Colorado Rapids: Revs can't find the back of the net against Colorado

Getty Images

The Revs are frustrated at Gillette Stadium by the visiting Rapids.

Lack of Finishing in the final third of the field was New England's undoing as they controlled most of possession Saturday night at home against the Colorado Rapids. The Rapids depleted offensive lineup due to injuries only managed to get one shot on New England goalkeeper Matt Reis.

First Half

It was a very slow first half, with the first 15 minutes full of possession going back and forth between the two teams.

New England got the first real chance of the match on a set piece. Left back Chris Tierney delivered a ball into the Colorado box, which was met by fellow defender Ryan Cochrane who headed the ball off the crossbar and out of play.

As play dragged on, New England seemed to be playing possessive soccer but failed to connect past the Rapids back four.

Colorado forward Caleb Folan came into to game fresh off of returning from injury. In the 30th minute, though he had to depart with injury again as Colorado made an early sub with Andre Akpan replacing Folan. Folan seemed to re-injure his hamstring early in the match.

The substitute was quick to show his worth in the 32nd minute as he rocketed a 25 yard shot onto New England Keeper Matt Reis. Reis was quick to move across his goal and made the save. This was Colorado's only real chance on goal.

Second Half

The start of the second half was lackluster, as both teams failed to create any good chances.

The first promising effort came for New England in the 57th minute. New England midfielder Kenny Mansally delivered a corner into the box to Revolution midfielder Shalrie Joesph who was unmarked and put a great header onto to goalkeeper Matt Pickens who just barely pushed the ball away.

New England was close to scoring again in the 74th minute when Benny Feilhaber and Sainey Nyassi connect on a give and go. Nyassi got the ball out wide from Feilhaber and sent a ball to him inside the 18 yard box. Feilhaber took a close shot and put the ball right off the corner cross bar.

Colorado had its only chance of the second half late in the 89th minute, as substitute Jaime Smith took a long range effort that didn't make it on target. Colorado looked as if they were playing for the tie toward the end of the match.

Late in stoppage time Sainey Nyassi received a ball from Joesph and brought the ball into the box from the right side. However, Colorado defender Tyrone Marshall made a quick tackle in the box to stop the attempted cross.

New England was disappointed as time expired, and the final result was a 0-0 tie.

For more on Major League Soccer, visit's MLS page and join USA's Facebook fan page!