thumbnail Hello,

Canadian Championship

  • June 4, 2014
  • • 7:30 PM
  • • Stade Saputo, Montreal, Quebec
  • Referee: D. Gantar
  • • Attendance: 13423

Montreal Impact win Aggregate 2 - 1

Montreal Impact 1-0 (2-1 agg.) Toronto FC: Late Felipe strike seals Voyageurs Cup

Montreal Impact 1-0 (2-1 agg.) Toronto FC: Late Felipe strike seals Voyageurs Cup

Eric Bolte

The Montreal Impact left it late, sealing victory in stoppage time en route to the Canadian Championship title.

The Montreal Impact used a stoppage time goal by substitute Felipe to defeat Toronto FC 1-0 on Wednesday night and win the Canadian Championship final by a 2-1 aggregate scoreline. 

Neither side looked particularly threatening for most of the first half, with both teams getting half-chances but little else. That pattern held for the first 40 minutes until Montreal pushed for a go-ahead goal to enter halftime.

Hernan Bernardello gave Joe Bendik his biggest scare, curling in a free kick from 20 yards that forced the Toronto goalkeeper into a full-stretch save. Moments before that, Impact striker Marco Di Vaio came close after he received the ball at the top of the TFC 18-yard box and fired a low effort just wide of Bendik's right post.

Despite the late push, Montreal couldn't snap the deadlock before the halftime break, and the match remained scoreless as referee David Gantar blew the whistle at the end of the opening 45 minutes. 

The second half began like the first, with the pace of the match slowing to a relative crawl and neither side seeming likely to do anything. TFC knew that it had to score in order to win the Voyageurs Cup, so the visiting side gradually pressed the issue as the half wore on.

In the 71st minute, Jermain Defoe got the first real chance of the second half after deftly cutting around his man at the top of the Montreal penalty area and firing a shot at Impact 'keeper Evan Bush. Unfortunately for Defoe the effort was directly at the Montreal shotstopper, and it was easily saved bu Bush.

Twelve minutes later, Toronto had its best opportunity of the match. Substitute Jonathan Osorio collected the ball 18 yards from goal and shook his defender before unleashing a low drive back across goal that evaded Bush and struck the post. Given that Osorio's effort came in the 83rd minute, it would likely have been the tournament winner.

However, fate wouldn't be on TFC's side, and with the visitors pressing on every possession and opening up large swaths on the field, the Impact struck the fatal blow in the 91st minute. Picking up the ball near the centre circle and driving toward a back line that was down to three men, Di Vaio sent in a rocket that rang off the Toronto crossbar and fell right to Felipe, with the Brazilian taking a touch and firing the ball under a sprawling Bendik.

The goal would be all the scoring on the night, and it propelled Montreal to its second consecutive Canadian Championship title.