Sporting can solidify its position atop the East with a win over a Montreal team in a downward spiral.
|Montreal Impact (4-3-3): Perkins; Camara, Nesta, Ferrari, Brovsky; Bernier, Martins, Arnaud; Paponi, Di Vaio, Mapp.
OUT: Nelson Rivas (L knee surgery), Maximiliamo Rodriguez (foot fracture)
|Sporting Kansas City (4-3-3): Nielsen; Myers, Opara, Olum, Sinovic; Zusi, Rosell, Joseph; Kamara, Bieler, Saad.
OUT: Paulo Nagamura (L ankle sprain), Josh Gardner (L hamstring strain)
- Sporting has replaced Montreal as the Eastern Conference's dominant team in recent weeks. The Conference-leading Sporks are just a point off the overall lead in Major League Soccer with a six-match unbeaten run, including wins in all of their last three games. The Impact, meanwhile, are on a five-game winless streak.
- Sporting will be without central defender Matt Besler, who is with the U.S. national team squad. He will take part in the final of the CONCACAF Gold Cup against Panama on Sunday.
- This will be the third meeting between these teams this season. Spoting won 2-0 at home on March 30, before the Impact won a June 1 meeting at Sporting Park 2-1.
- In the five meetings between these teams, each side has won two games, with one draw.
- Sporting's Aurelien Collin is suspended for this match through yellow card accumulation.