thumbnail Hello,


  • April 5, 2014
  • • 4:00 PM
  • • Stade Olympique, Montréal, QC
  • Referee: S. Petrescu
  • • Attendance: 24071

Montreal Impact 2-2 New York Red Bulls: Felipe salvages a point for Impact

Montreal Impact 2-2 New York Red Bulls: Felipe salvages a point for Impact

Eric Bolte

New York's dented lineup managed to claim a 2-2 draw on the road in Montreal.

The Montreal Impact and the New York Red Bulls were both looking for their first win of the season Saturday but had to settle for a to a 2-2 draw instead in front of 24,071 fans at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

Montreal got off to a quick start with Andres Romero recording his first goal of the campaign in the fifth minute. Felipe sent a delicate pass in behind the New York Red Bulls defense that found the feet of Romero, and the Argentine midfielder was able to side-foot the ball past goalkeeper Luis Robles.

Romero nearly added a second to his tally seven minutes later, but his attempt on goal was cleared off the line.

After a dominant opening 25 minutes from Montreal, the Red Bulls fired back with the two quick goals before halftime.

The first came in the 31st minute when, deep in the Impact area, Lloyd Sam sent a cross to the Montreal back post. Jonny Steele was able to reach the ball before Montreal defender Eric Miller and redirect it into the net beyond the reach of Troy Perkins.

The second goal came three minutes later following a giveaway from Marco Di Vaio in the Impact half and Peguy Luyindula would complete the ensuing counterattack with an easy finish.

Two minutes into the second half, the Red Bulls wasted a great chance to go ahead 3-1 after a penalty kick was awarded to the away side, but Luyindula’s shot ringed off the crossbar.

In the 59th minute, the Impact eventually found the equalizer. A cross from Justin Mapp found an unmarked Felipe who had made a late run into the box, and the Brazilian headed the ball past Robles from close range.

Despite several scoring opportunities from both sides in the final 30 minutes of play, the score would stay fixed at 2-2, leaving both teams still winless.