After the two Scudetto rivals both came off 0-0 draws in league play this past weekend they are looking for a good result in their first-leg encounter at San Siro
Abate, Bonera, Thiago Silva, Mesbah
Ambrosini, Van Bommel, Nocerino
El Shaarawy, Ibrahimovic
Lichtsteiner, Bonucci, Chiellini, De Ceglie
Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio
Giaccherini, Borriello, Vucinic
Going into the domestic cup tie, injuries continue to be a headache for Rossoneri boss Massimiliano Allegri, who will still be without the likes of Antonio Cassano, Alexandre Pato, Kevin-Prince Boateng, Alberto Aquilani, Mathieu Flamini, Alexander Merkel and Gennaro Gattuso among others.
Veteran stopper Alessandro Nesta is also out due to a muscle strain, meaning either Daniele Bonera or Philippe Mexes will partner Thiago Silva at center back. Zlatan Ibrahimovic picked up a three-match league ban for slapping Napoli's Salvatore Aronica, but is available for this match and could indeed start against his former team before his enforced rest. New signing Maxi Lopez is also an option.
On the other side of the pitch, the Bianconeri do not have nearly as many selection concerns, with just winger Simone Pepe likely to skip the high-profile clash through injury. Nonetheless, coach Antonio Conte is expected to provide some turnover in his starting XI.
Marco Storari will replace Gianliugi Buffon in goal and winter signing Marco Borriello should give Alessandro Matri a rest in the central striker role. Leonardo Bonucci should also start in defense. Mirko Vucinic, Alessandro Del Piero and Fabio Quagliarella are all hoping to be the one selected alongside the former Roma player and Emanuele Giaccherini in attack.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- AC Milan was defeated in the semifinals of last season's Coppa Italia, losing over two legs to Palermo by an aggregate score of 4-3.
- This match has not ended in a draw in an official fixture since May 2009, when the two sides fought to a 1-1 stalemate.
- The Rossoneri have the best attack in Serie A so far this season (scoring 43 goals) while Juventus have the best defence (conceding 13).
- Juventus still boasts an unbeaten record in all competitions this term, already overcoming Bologna and Roma in the Coppa Italia.
- Claudio Marchisio was the hero the last time these two sides met in a competitive game, scoring two late goals in the Bianconeri's 2-0 win during league play in October 2011.
- Andrea Pirlo made 377 appearances for the Rossoneri over a 10-year spell before moving to Turin on a free transfer last summer.