Following opening day defeats for each team, Mexico and Canada need a result to aid in the pursuit of the Gold Cup knockout rounds.
|Mexico (4-2-3-1): Orozco; I. Jimenez, Huiqui, Lopez, Chavez; Enriquez, Peña; Brizuela, Fabian, Montes; R. Jimenez.||
GOALKEEPERS: Jonathan Orozco (Monterrey), Alfredo Talavera (Toluca), Moises Munoz (Club America)
DEFENDERS: Israel Jimenez (Tigres), Leobardo Lopez (Monterrey), Joel Huiqui (Morelia), Darvin Chavez (Monterrey), Adrian Aldrete (Club America), Efrain Velarde (Pumas), Juan Carlos Valenzuela (Club America), Miguel Layun (Club America), Jair Pereira (Cruz Azul)
MIDFIELDERS: Carlos Peña (Leon), Javier Cortes (Pumas), Luis Montes (Leon), Jorge Enriquez (Guadalajara), Miguel Ponce (Guadalajara), Alejandro Castro (Cruz Azul)
FORWARDS: Raul Jimenez (Club America), Marco Fabian (Guadalajara), Rafael Marquez Lugo (Guadalajara), Isaac Brizuela (Toluca), Javier Orozco (Santos)
|Canada (4-2-3-1): Borjan; Ledgerwood, Edgar, Henry, De Jong; Pacheco, De Guzman; Porter, Osorio, Nakajima-Farran; Haber
GOALKEEPERS: Lars Hirschfeld (Valerenga), Milan Borjan (Sivasspor), Simon Thomas (Vancouver Whitecaps FC)
DEFENDERS: Doneil Henry (Toronto FC), Nik Ledgerwood (Hammarby IF), Ashtone Morgan (Toronto FC), Adam Straith (FC Saarbrücken), David Edgar (Burnley), Marcel de Jong (FC Augsburg), Nana Attakora (San Jose Earthquakes), Adam Straith (unattached)
MIDFIELDERS: Kyle Bekker (Toronto FC), Julian de Guzman (unattached), Issey Nakajima-Farran (Alki Larnaca), Jonathan Osorio (Toronto FC), Pedro Pacheco (CD Santa Clara), Samuel Piette (Fortuna Düsseldorf), Russell Teibert (Vancouver Whitecaps), Kyle Porter (D.C. United), Keven Aleman (Real Valladolid)
FORWARDS: Marcus Haber (Stevenage FC), Tosaint Ricketts (Sandnes Ulf)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Both these teams lost on the opening matchday of the 2013 Gold Cup. Canada succumbed to a stoppage-time goal against Martinique. A half hour later, Mexico took the field at the Rose Bowl and proceeded to lose 2-1 to Panama, which had never defeated El Tri in an official competition before.
- Canada failed to qualify for the Hexagonal and cannot reach the 2014 World Cup. The Canucks are ranked 88th in the FIFA world rankings.
- Mexico's squad is entirely domestic-based, and features a dozen players 25 or younger. No player has more than a dozen caps.
- Mexico is the two-time Gold Cup defending champion, having destroyed the USA 5-0 in the 2009 final, before defeating the United States, again, in 2011, by a 4-2 scoreline. The only three-peat in Gold Cup history was accomplished by El Tri in the 1993, 1996 and 1998 tournaments.
- Canada captain Will Johnson returned to his club, the Portland Timbers, to overcome an illness.