Sir Alex Ferguson has injuries to contend with, but will expect a win against opponents who are only in fourth place in their domestic league after a mixed start.
Valencia, Jones, Evans, Evra
Nani, Giggs, Carrick, Park
Steinhofer, Kovac, Dragovic, Voser
Shaqiri, Yapo, Tembo, Zoua
The Swiss side has almost a full squad to choose from but will be without central midfielder Benjamin Huggel who was sent off in the win over Otelul Galati. Former West Ham defender Radoslav Kovac is expected to start.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester United only conceded four times at home in last season’s competition, but all teams it faced in the knockout stage scored at Old Trafford.
- United has not conceded a goal in any competition this season which wasn’t scored by a striker (excluding the Community Shield).
- The Red Devils last Champions League defeat at Old Trafford was the 1-0 loss to Besiktas in the group stages two years ago.
- Sunday’s 1-1 draw at Stoke was the first Premier League match this season they haven’t won.
- Basel has just 16 points from 10 matches in the Swiss Super League this season, leaving it fourth in the table.
- However, the club comes into this match in some form having secured 11 points from its last five matches, although its last result was a 1-1 draw at fifth place Thun.
- Both sides met in the 2002-03 Champions League. They drew 1-1 at Old Trafford but United triumphed 3-1 in Switzerland.
- They won their first match in this season’s competition 2-1 against Otelul Galati.
- Star midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri scored in the 3-1 home defeat against England in Euro 2012 qualifying.