The table toppers have failed to score in their last two games and need to recover from a wasteful festive period if they are to secure their grip on first place
Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy
Milner, Toure, Barry, Nasri
Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique
Henderson, Gerrard, Adam, Downing,
Meanwhile, Gael Clichy and James Milner are also likely to get the nod ahead of Aleksandar Kolarov and Adam Johnson. Mario Balotelli was thought to have sustained a knock, due to his absence from the squad against the Black Cats. He could come into the fray if his fitness is not in doubt.
Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish could hand skipper Steven Gerrard a start, at the expense of Jay Spearing, in this clash after a strong substitute performance against Newcastle. Likewise, Craig Bellamy may start after getting a brace in the 3-1 win. Luis Suarez should be available as his eight-game ban is pending an appeal and he may start ahead of Andy Carroll.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester City has beaten these opponents only once in its last 13 Premier League meetings.
- City has won all nine of its league games at home this season.
- Roberto Mancini's men have been the most prolific in the attacking third of the pitch, scoring 53 goals this season.
- City had been undefeated until it met Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. The club has now lost twice in five matches.
- The Eastlands club may have scored the highest number of goals in the league so far, but they have gone two games without scoring a single goal.
- Liverpool has the best defensive record in the Premier League, having conceded only 15 goals so far.
- The Reds have won 29 of the Manchester meetings between the sides while the hosts have emerged victorious on only 25 occasions . A further 21 matches have ended as draws.
- Liverpool has scored 297 goals against City throughout the course of the two clubs' histories, conceding 207 in the process.