Diego Simeone makes his managerial debut at the big-spending Andalusian side on Saturday, as La Liga swings back into action after the winter break.
Sanchez, Demichelis, Mathijsen, Monreal
Cazorla, Fernandez, Isco
Perea, Godin, Dominguez, Filipe
Salvio, Diego, Turan
Portuguese midfielder Tiago could make a return to the Atletico Madrid starting line-up as Diego Simeone looks to kick off his reign at the capital club with a positive result.
Koke and Eduardo Salvio are also in contention for starting berths, with Luis Perea is set to make a return at right back. The Argentine coach will be without Jose Antonio Reyes after sanctioning his move to Sevilla in a 3.5 million euro deal on Thursday.
Malaga coach Manuel Pellegrini has no fresh injury concerns and could field the same team that narrowly lost the midweek Copa del Rey match against Real Madrid.
Long-term injury absentee Julio Baptista remains out of the first team picture, and Spanish winger Joaquin misses out with a muscle tear. Defensive duo Helder Rosario and Kris Stadsgaard sit out with calf injuries.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Malaga is on a three-game winless streak in all competitions.
- Santi Cazorla (pictured) is Malaga's top scorer this season with four goals.
- The Andalusian club has a sizable British following due to the large number of British expatriates residing on the Costa del Sol.
- Atletico Madrid has lost four of its last five matches in all competitions.
- Colombian ace Radamel Falcao is the capital club's leading scorer this season with nine goals.
- Diego Simeone, who began his coaching career in 2006, is in his seventh managerial job at Atletico Madrid.