thumbnail Hello,

UEFA Champions League

  • November 26, 2014
  • • 2:45 PM
  • • Stadion Vasil Levski, Sofia
  • Referee: Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz
  • • Attendance: 37143

Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: More misery for Rodgers' men

Liverpool gave up a late goal to keep its poor run of results going.

Liverpool's poor start to the season plunged to new depths as Georgi Terziev's late goal earned Ludogorets a 2-2 UEFA Champions League draw.

Terziev headed home his first goal for the club with two minutes remaining as the Bulgarians claimed a famous Group B point at Stadion Vasil Levski on Wednesday.

There was an early warning sign of what was to come for the English side when Dani Abalo capitalized on a dreadful error from under-fire goalkeeper Simon Mignolet to put Ludogorets in front inside five minutes.

But after some comical defending ensured Rickie Lambert marked his first start in this competition with a goal, Liverpool appeared to have turned the tables when Jordan Henderson swept home at the end of a fine move just before halftime.

The poor defending that has plagued Liverpool throughout this campaign reared its head again, though, as an unmarked Terziev nodded home a well-worked corner at the back post two minutes from time.

Liverpool, therefore, needs to beat Basel at home in its final game to reach the last 16, while Ludogorets must overcome champion Real Madrid - which have won all five games so far - to have any chance.

The Premier League side endured a nightmare start as the home side took an immediate lead thanks to an error from goalkeeper Mignolet.

The Belgian failed to hold on to a Fabio Espinho's 20-yard strike that was straight at him, gifting prowling striker Abalo the simplest of tap ins.

Yet seeming to show pity on the beleaguered opponent, Ludogorets gifted Liverpool a way back into the game five minutes later.

Lambert was the beneficiary, capitalizing on indecision in the home side's defense to nod beyond onrushing goalkeeper Vladislav Stoyanov and into the corner.

The Bulgarians responded impressively, however, as they continued to press forward with confidence.

An error-strewn game nearly brought another costly one as Kolo Toure turned Abalo's cross narrowly past his own post.

But Liverpool regrouped thereafter and took the lead thanks to a superbly worked goal eight minutes before halftime.

Raheem Sterling was the architect, sending a pin-point low cross to the far post - where Henderson burst in and expertly lobbed Stoyanov.

Ludogorets was not able to begin the second half how it did the first, although the club enjoyed the majority of the possession.

Espinho had the best chance of the early exchanges, curling a 20-yard free kick harmlessly over the crossbar.

Liverpool continued to invite pressure, though, with Marcelinho's long-range effort deflected just wide off Joe Allen.

There was a palpable sense of tension in Brendan Rodgers' side's play as the final whistle drew closer, especially when Sterling hit straight at Stoyanov when one-on-one with the shot stopper.

That miss was to prove incredibly costly as Svetoslav Dyakov flicked on a corner to leave Terziev with an easy task and heap further misery on Rodgers.