Kenny Dalglish's men take on the Black Cats as 21-year-old midfielder prepares to make his debut, while skipper Steven Gerrard is sidelined due to a groin injury
Kelly, Carragher, Agger, Aurelio
Adam, Lucas, Henderson, Downing
Elmohamady, Ferdinand, Brown, Bardsley
Larsson, Colback, Cattermole, Gardner
Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard (groin) has been ruled out of action until September, while Glen Johnson sustained a thigh injury during the friendly against Valencia.
Martin Skrtel missed most of the preseason due to a calf injury and would appear unlikely to be fully fit for the season opener, while Luis Suarez is expected to be rested having only recently returned to training following the Copa America.
Steve Bruce also has some worries ahead of the first game of the season as new signing John O'Shea is sidelined with a hamstring injury. Furthermore, Fraizer Campbell, Craig Gordon and David Meyler are all out of action due to knee injuries.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool has been very successful against Sunderland in the past few years, with the last 10 Premier League meetings resulting in eight victories, one draw and just one defeat. And even that loss was due to the infamous beach ball incident in 2009.
- Furthermore, the Black Cats have been goal shy against the Merseysiders in their last 10 league clashes, finding the back of the net on only three occasions. However, two of those three goals came last season in a 2-2 draw at Anfield.
- The Reds have been leaking goals in the preseason, conceding 12 times in their last five friendlies.
- Sunderland has also had many a hiccup during the preseason, winning only one of its last eight friendlies.
- The visiting side won its last two league games away from home, but its form at the time was in a miserable state as the last 14 games of the previous season saw the club lose on 10 occasions.
- Former Sunderland midfielder Jordan Henderson (pictured right) is expected to make his league debut for Kenny Dalglish's side against his former club on Saturday, after having spent his youth career and three years as a professional under the Black Cats' banner.
Season Kickoff, beginning with Liverpool vs. Sunderland Saturday live at 10 a.m. ET on FOX Soccer! For a complete weekend schedule, click here.