With both sides desperate for a win and only a point separating them, all eyes will be on former Geordie favorite Andy Carroll as he faces his old club once again
Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique
Maxi, Gerrard, Adam, Downing
Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, R Taylor
Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez
The hosts are without Luis Suarez, however, after the player was issued with a one-match ban following an improper conduct charge after the match with Fulham earlier this month. As such, all eyes will be on former Newcastle favorite Andy Carroll, who has yet to make a significant impact since joining the Reds for 35 million pounds almost a year ago.
There are no new injury concerns for the Magpies, so they are expected to start with a similar side to that which beat Bolton Wanderers on Boxing Day. Hatem Ben Arfa will be hoping to get the nod in midfield, after scoring as a substitute at the Reebok last time out.
Alan Pardew’s men are boosted by the return of Danny Guthrie from suspension, so he could feature at Anfield at some stage, but Steven Taylor, Sylvain Marveaux and Peter Lovenkrands are all still sidelined through injury.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool has won the last three home meetings with the Magpies 3-0, the latest back in May of this year.
- The Reds will be hoping to have Steven Gerrard return to the starting XI, as he has managed six goals against the Tyneside club.
- The club has the joint-best defensive record in the Premier League, but have conceded in 78 per cent of their home matches and have drawn the last four.
- Former Geordie favorite Andy Carroll (pictured right) has found the net just twice in 16 games for Liverpool.
- Newcastle have not managed a league win at Anfield since 1994.
- Demba Ba has managed 14 goals in 17 appearances for Newcastle this season.
- The club has scored and conceded more goals in the final 10 minutes of games this season than at any other point in a match.
- The Magpies have won every league match this season in which they have scored first.
- Both sides go into the game desperate for three points, as the home side have won only two of their last six matches while the visitors have won just once in that time.
- There have been 61 yellow cards in the previous Premier League meetings between the sides, but never a sending off.