thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • February 7, 2015
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • King Power Stadium, Leicester, Leicestershire
  • Referee: L. Mason
  • • Attendance: 31695

Leicester City 0-1 Crystal Palace: Ledley header gets Palace back to winning ways

Alan Pardew's excellent record since taking over Crystal Palace continues, as Leicester was beaten at the King Power Stadium.

Joe Ledley’s header early in the second half earned Crystal Palace a 1-0 win at the King Power Stadium – a result that left Leicester City bottom of the Premier League.

Ledley pounced with a close-range header from a corner to win an end-to-end encounter on Saturday against a Leicester side whose best effort came in the first half when David Nugent headed against the crossbar.

An open game offered up plenty of chances for both sides, but it was Alan Pardew who left the happier manager. His excellent record since taking over at Crystal Palace continued, as the visitors claimed a third league win in their last four outings.

Palace started brightly and its first chance saw Jason Puncheon fire in a free kick from the right, but it was straight at goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

Dwight Gayle then laid the ball back for Wilfried Zaha – restored to the starting lineup as one of two changes, alongside Jordon Mutch - but his shot was blocked by Wes Morgan as Palace continued to dominate the early stages.

As Leicester responded, Riyad Mahrez’s free kick looked harmless, but Nugent’s flick-on had to be headed out for a corner by Scott Dann.

Mahrez - straight back into the side after returning from Africa Cup of Nations duty with Algeria - brought a good diving save out of Julian Speroni with a shot across goal.

Leicester almost took the lead after 26 minutes when Mahrez swung over a corner and Nugent’s header came back off the crossbar.

Jeffrey Schlupp then controlled a cross and fired into the ground to bring another fine save out of Speroni with Leicester’s third good chance of the first half.

Palace brought on Brede Hangeland at halftime for the injured Dann and on-loan Yaya Sanogo replaced Mutch.

Konchesky’s angled shot forced Speroni into another save as Leicester continued its fight to beat the drop, before Sanogo beat Morgan to a long ball but instead of passing to Gayle he shot straight at Marcin Wasilewski.

Palace went ahead after 55 minutes though when, from the resulting corner, Hangeland nodded the ball back across goal and Ledley headed Palace in front from close range.

Puncheon almost increased Palace’s advantage late on when he fired just past the post with a dipping left-foot shot from outside the area before Leicester mounted plenty of pressure in response.

The home side laid siege to the Palace box in the closing stages, but it could not breach the visitors' defense as Ledley’s header proved decisive.