Real Madrid kicks off its part in the World Football Challenge with a preseason friendly against the LA Galaxy, who feature former Madrid midfielder David Beckham.
|LA Galaxy (4-4-2): Saunders; Franklin, DeLaGarza, Junior Lopes, Gaul; Jimenez, Juninho, Beckham, Magee; Keane, Donovan.
OUT: FW Edson Buddle (R knee surgery); DF Leonardo (R knee inflammation)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Andrew Boyens (L sports hernia surgery); DF Todd Dunivant (R calf hematoma); DF Omar Gonzalez (L knee surgery); MF Dan Keat (R knee surgery); MF Kyle Nakazawa (back spasms)
|Real Madrid (4-2-3-1): Casillas; Arbeloa, Pepe, Ramos, Coentrao; Alonso, Khedira; Di Maria, Ozil, Ronaldo; Benzema.
GOALKEEPERS: Iker Casillas, Antonio Adán, Jesus Fernandez Collado
DEFENDERS: Raul Albiol, Alvaro Arbeola, Fabio Coentrão, Jose Nacho Fernández, Pepe, Sergio Ramos, Raphael Varane
MIDFIELDERS: Xabi Alonso, Jose Maria Callejon, Angel Di Maria, Lass Diarra, Alex Fernandez, Esteban Granero, Kaka, Sami Khedira, Mesut Özil, Jese Rodriguez, Nuri Sahin
FORWARDS: Karim Benzema, Gonzalo Higuain, Alvaro Morata, Cristiano Ronaldo
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The Home Depot Center will expand its capacity to 30,000 for this blockbuster friendly. A sellout is expected.
- Bruce Arena said he would play two separate teams and limit his players to 45 minutes each with a key Western Conference matchup against Seattle Sounders FC looming on Sunday.
- David Beckham, freshly reunited with his Galaxy teammates after taking part in the 2012 Olympic opening ceremony, played four years in the Spanish capital, winning one La Liga title.
- Jose Mourinho's side is the reigning La Liga champion. Four members of the traveling roster are also reigning World Cup and Euro victors with Spain.
- Rumors continue to link Kaka (AC Milan) and Nuri Sahin (Arsenal) away from Madrid. Sahin could depart to make way for the arrival of Luka Modric (Tottenham).
- After this match, Los Blancos will play preseason friendlies in the U.S. against Santos Laguna (Aug. 5, Las Vegas), Milan (Aug. 8, New York) and Celtic (Aug. 11, Philadelphia).