Los Angeles is scrounging for bodies to prevent becoming the third MLS Cup champ to fail to qualify for the playoffs the following season.
|LA Galaxy (4-4-2): Saunders; Franklin, DeLaGarza, Leonardo, Dunivant; Beckham, Juninho, Sarvas, Donovan; Buddle, Barrett.
OUT: DF Andrew Boyens (L sports hernia surgery); FW Adam Cristman (concussion); DF Omar Gonzalez (L knee surgery); MF Dan Keat (R knee inflammation)
QUESTIONABLE: FW Edson Buddle (R knee inflammation); DF Bryan Gaul (facial fracture); MF Hector Jimenez (L quad hematoma); MF Juninho (L calf contusion)
|Portland Timbers (4-4-2): Perkins; Jewsbury, Mosquera, Horst, Chabala; Alhassan, Chara, Palmer, Nagbe; Boyd, Mwanga.
OUT: DF Eric Brunner (concussion); DF Rodney Wallace (R ankle sprain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Los Angeles props up the Western Conference with a mere 11 points. Portland is only two points better off, tied for seventh in the West.
- The Galaxy could become the third team to win an MLS Cup and then fail to make the playoffs the following year. The last team to do it? The 2005-06 LA Galaxy. (D.C. United was the first in 1999-2000.)
- Los Angeles is struggling to find available bodies. Aside from a lengthy injury list, Bruce Arena will miss Robbie Keane to Euro 2012, where the striker is captaining the Republic of Ireland. The Disciplinary Committee was not kind either, tabbing Mike Magee, Michael Stephens and Hector Jimenez with suspensions for this game.
- The sample size is small, but Portland has never won an MLS match in June, going 0-3-1 last year.
- Great Britain coach Stuart Pearce will reportedly be stateside to watch David Beckham play ahead of deciding the team to compete in the London Olympics. He'll watch this match and the one against Real Salt Lake midweek to evaluate the 37-year-old.