thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • December 20, 2014
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • KCOM Stadium, Hull
  • Referee: M. Clattenburg
  • • Attendance: 21913

Hull City 0-1 Swansea City: Monk's men celebrate rare away win

The Swans notched just their second road win of the Premier League campaign.

A stroke of fortune helped Swansea City win a Premier League away match for just the second time this season as it beat Hull City 1-0.

Swansea edged a relatively even contest at the KC Stadium on Saturday courtesy of a 15th-minute goal, with Jonjo Shelvey's strike taking a heavy deflection off Ki Sung-yueng to leave Hull goalkeeper Allan McGregor helpless.

Steve Bruce's men were perhaps unfortunate to go in behind at halftime having hit the crossbar through Andrew Robertson, although Shelvey was also denied by the post.

The second half proved lively, with Hull's Nikica Jelavic and Shelvey both being denied by excellent saves, but one goal proved enough for Swansea, which hit the woodwork again through Bafetimbi Gomis.

Swansea's triumph was its first away from the Liberty Stadium since it surprised Manchester United on the opening day of the season. Garry Monk's side climbs to eighth in the table, while Hull — which has now gone 10 games without a win — remains in the relegation zone.

Monk named a much-changed side to the one that lost 2-1 to Tottenham last weekend, with in-form striker Wilfried Bony surprisingly named among the substitutes as one of seven alterations. Hull made three changes of its own to the side defeated by Chelsea, two of those forced by center back Michael Dawson's injury and Tom Huddlestone's suspension.

An end-to-end start to proceedings saw Jelavic fire well wide from a promising position to the left of the penalty area, before Wayne Routledge followed suit for Swansea at the other end.

The breakthrough came after quarter of an hour in fortuitous circumstances. Shelvey played a one-two with Ki and fired a 25-yard shot that cannoned off the South Korea international and beyond a wrong-footed McGregor.

It was a blow for Hull, which had started the game in a positive manner, and luck was against it once more when a wonderfully crafted move culminated in Robertson's fierce first-time shot grazing the crossbar.

The woodwork came to Hull's rescue on the half-hour, though, when Shelvey's low drive from distance rattled the inside of the right-hand post.

Hull sought a quick start to the second half and Swansea had Lukasz Fabianski — back in goal after a one-match ban — to thank for keeping out Jelavic's thumping header with a strong one-handed save.

McGregor proved equally important for Hull at the other end as Shelvey wasted a golden chance to make it 2-0 when his side-footed shot from 8 yards was saved by the foot of the Scotland international.

The woodwork was once again responsible for the score remaining 1-0 in the 74th minute when Gomis' sliced volley rebounded off the right-hand post. Aside from a tentative penalty claim from substitute Yannick Sagbo in injury time, a late Hull rally failed to materialize.

Bruce's goal-shy side has now drawn four blanks in its past five league matches, while Swansea can celebrate a first win over Hull since 2003 when it famously triumphed 4-2 to preserve its Football League status.