thumbnail Hello,

League Cup

  • September 24, 2013
  • • 2:45 PM
  • • KCOM Stadium, Hull
  • Referee: S. Hooper
  • • Attendance: 7151

Hull City 1-0 Huddersfield Town: Emphatic Proschwitz strike seals win

Hull City 1-0 Huddersfield Town: Emphatic Proschwitz strike seals win

Abdoulaye Diagne-Faye; Nick Proschwitz,Hull City v Huddersfield Town - Capital One Cup Third

Steve Bruce's side progressed to the last 16 of the Capital One Cup thanks to a fantastic second-half hit from its German forward.

Hull City beat Yorkshire rival Huddersfield Town 1-0 to comfortably advance to the fourth round of the Capital One Cup on Tuesday.

Nick Proschwitz was the hosts' hero, firing home on the hour to secure Hull's progression into the last 16 for the first time since the 1977-78 season.

Huddersfield had beaten Bradford City and Charlton Athletic in previous rounds, but never really looked like adding a Premier League scalp at the KC Stadium.  

Following impressive starts to their respective league campaigns, both sides used the tie to give their squad players a chance to impress.

Hull manager Steve Bruce made nine changes to the side that won away at Newcastle United on Saturday, with only Liam Rosenior and Stephen Quinn retained in the starting lineup. Huddersfield boss Mark Robins went one better than his former Manchester United teammate Bruce, with goalkeeper Alex Smithies the sole survivor from a goalless draw at Blackburn Rovers last weekend.

The away side started brightly and had the first effort on goal after just three minutes, although Keith Southern failed to test veteran goalkeeper Steve Harper.

Hull became more dominant as the half wore on, and returning striker Matty Fryatt had two great chances within a minute to give it the lead just before the half-hour. First he struck the post from 10 yards after being played in by Proschwitz, then he fired another effort over the crossbar just seconds later.

Hull had another chance just before the break, but Yannick Sagbo curled his shot over and the game remained all square at halftime.

The game needed a spark, and it arrived on the hour mark via the impressive Proschwitz.

The giant German striker, signed for 2.6 million pounds from SC Paderborn 07 in July 2012, made the most of his recall by thumping the ball past Smithies after George Boyd had flicked the ball on.

Abdoulaye Faye nearly doubled the lead after 73 minutes, but his towering header from Boyd's corner fell just past the far post.

Huddersfield could not convert its spells of possession into clear-cut chances, and Harper was allowed a quiet evening in what was the first meeting in the League Cup between the two sides.