thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • May 9, 2015
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • Kingston Communications Stadium, Hull
  • Referee: M. Atkinson
  • • Attendance: 24877

Burnley's Danny Ings.

Hull City 0-1 Burnley: Ings strike not enough to keep survival hopes alive

Burnley's Danny Ings.

Getty Images

Despite picking up a 1-0 win at Hull City, Burnley was relegated from the Premier League on Saturday.

Burnley was relegated from the Premier League on Saturday, despite a 1-0 victory at fellow struggler Hull City.

Sean Dyche's men headed to the KC Stadium knowing only a win would be enough to keep their slim survival hopes alive and Danny Ings' first goal in 11 matches ensured they kept their end of the bargain.

However, wins elsewhere for Leicester City and Sunderland, as well as a draw for Newcastle United, consigned Burnley to the Championship after one season in the top flight.

Robbie Brady hit the crossbar as Hull looked most likely to find the net in the first half, but Burnley's need for three points began to tell during a frantic second half.

The visitors eventually went ahead through Ings after 62 minutes, before Brady found the woodwork again with another free kick. Hull was unable to find an equalizer, though, and sits two points adrift of safety with two matches left to play.

Despite losing their respective fixtures last time out, both managers opted to name an unchanged XI, with Michael Duff included for Burnley after having last weekend's red card for a challenge on West Ham's Cheikhou Kouyate rescinded.

Hull looked the more dangerous in an open first half and Jason Shackell was in the right place at the right time to clear a Brady cut-back in the six-yard box after 20 minutes.

Brady came closest to breaking the deadlock before halftime, curling a 25-yard free kick onto the bar.

Both sides went on the attack from the off in the second half – Ashley Barnes sent an overhead kick wide before Tom Huddlestone shot straight at Tom Heaton.

Ings was left screaming for a penalty when he surged into the penalty area from the left only to go to ground in the center of the box under the challenge of McShane, but referee Martin Atkinson waved away his protests.

Hull boss Steve Bruce threw on Nikica Jelavic – back from a knee injury – in a bid to push for the win, but saw Ings fire Burnley in front just after the hour mark as the home side failed to clear from a corner.

Michael Dawson had been ordered from the field for a change of shirt and Ings pounced on the man advantage to drive home from the center of the box.

The result was ultimately bittersweet for Burnley, which goes down despite a third ever away win in the Premier League.