thumbnail Hello,

Liga MX

  • April 16, 2011
  • • 8:00 PM
  • • Estadio Omnilife, Zapopan
  • Referee: P. Delgadillo

Chivas 0-1 Santos: Visitors steal a victory

Chivas 0-1 Santos: Visitors steal a victory

Santos earned all three points against Chivas, which couldn't capitalize on a second-half penalty kick at Estadio Omnilife.

Santos earned all three points against Chivas with a last-second goal Saturday at the Omnilife Stadium.

Chivas was given a penalty shot in the second half, but three attempts were not enough to go up on the scoreboard.

First Half

In the fourth minute Santos had an opportunity at taking the lead. Hector Reynoso misjudged the Santos attack and goalkeeper Luis Michel had come out of his goal. Christian Benitez received the ball and took a shot toward goal, but Chivas defender Mario de Luna managed to clear in time to keep the score level.

Omar Arellano and Erick ’Cubo’ Torres tried to combine in the 20th minute. Arellano sent a cross to Torres, who tried to head toward goal but his header flew wide.

Rodrigo ‘Pony’ Ruiz had a close opportunity in the 24th minute, but his header was blocked by goalkeeper Michel and sent the ball wide.

Omar Esparza crossed the ball in to Torres from the right in the 33rd minute. Torres’ header sent the ball toward the ground, but it bounced over the crossbar.

Second Half

‘Pony’ Ruiz almost put the visitors ahead in the 48th minute, but Michel blocked the ball. The ball bounced around in front of the goal, but no one could push it in.

The home team earned a penalty in the 72nd minute when Arellano went down in the box. The referee pointed to the spot and Reynoso stepped up to take the shot.

The first penalty attempt by Reynoso hit the top of the net, beating goalkeeper Miguel Becerra. However, the officials called for a repeat of the penalty because a player had made their way into the box during the  play.

Becerra blocked Reynoso’s second attempt. The Chivas player had sent the shot to the right at sidelight and Becerra guessed correctly. However, officials once again called for a repeat because the goalkeeper had prematurely let his line.

Reynoso’s tried a third time by taking a soft penalty and lofting it toward the goal. The shot hit the crossbar and an already beaten Becerra watched from the ground. Reynoso tried to follow up, but the referee blew his whistle to stop the play.

Felipe Baloy won the game for the visitors in added time. Santos earned a corner kick and the Chivas defense had a difficult time clearing the ball. Reynoso finally headed the ball away from the goal, but he headed it toward Baloy at the edge of the box. Unleashing a deadly shot, Baloy sent the ball to the back of the net and gave Santos the lead during the last play of the game.

Follow on to get the latest soccer news directly. Check out's page; be part of the best soccer fan community in the world!