thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • September 28, 2013
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • Craven Cottage, London
  • Referee: C. Pawson
  • • Attendance: 23020

Fulham 1-2 Cardiff City: Late Mutch stunner downs Cottagers

The midfielder struck at the death as the Bluebirds claimed all three points after Bryan Ruiz had earlier canceled out Steven Caulker's opener.

Cardiff City picked up its first away win in the Premier League thanks to a 2-1 win over Fulham at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Steven Caulker put Cardiff ahead with his first goal for the club after 11 minutes, before substitute Bryan Ruiz leveled matters on the stroke of halftime. 

Just when it looked as though the sides would have to settle for a point, Jordon Mutch expertly curled an effort past a helpless Robbie Stockdale.

Both sides made one change from their last league outing, with Dimitar Berbatov coming in for Damien Duff after scoring against Everton in the League Cup on Tuesday.

Peter Odemwingie made his first Premier League start for the club, following his debut appearance in the 1-0 defeat to Tottenham.

Fulham was dealt an early blow when Scott Parker was forced off through injury, with Giorgos Karagounis taking his place.

Cardiff went ahead after 11 minutes thanks to Caulker.

The captain and record signing rose above Steven Sidwell to head past Stockdale and edge his side in front.

While the home side was initially rocked by the goal, Martin Jol's men did enjoy a strong spell of possession during the next 10 minutes but struggled to create any clear-cut chances.

Fulham was almost two down when Ben Turner forced a good save from Stockdale after 26 minutes before hitting the outside of the post with another headed effort just a minute later.

Alexander Kacaniklic was swapped for Ruiz five minutes before the break as Jol looked to invigorate his ineffective forward line.

It paid dividends soon after, with Ruiz leveling for Fulham with his first goal of the season.

The Costa Rican curled home a sumptuous effort from outside the area on the stroke of halftime past David Marshall.

Fulham began the second half well but it was Cardiff which created the first chance, with Fraizer Campbell poking over the bar following a Mutch through ball.

The home side continued to press, but was unable to break down Cardiff's resolute defense before Malky Mackay's men struck in injury time. 

Mutch opened his account for the club, curling past Stockdale at the death to extend Fulham's winless run in the league to five.

Follow GOAL.COM on