The first ever meeting between the NASL's FC Edmonton and the Vancouver Whitecaps of MLS could be a scrappy affair as the Eddies hope to exploit Vancouver's goalscoring woes.
|FC Edmonton (4-3-3):
Monsalve; Augustin, Hamilton, Hatchi, West; Van Leerdam, Oppong, Barthélémy; Porter, Pinto, Saiko
OUT: M Kyle Yamada (lower body injury)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Adam West (hamstring)
|Vancouver Whitecaps (4-3-3): Knighton; Klazura, Bonjour, Mitchell, Rochat; Davidson, Teibert, Thorrington; Harris, Hassli, Chiumiento.
OUT: FW Darren Mattocks (R shoulder burn); GK Brian Sylvestre (R knee surgery); FW Etienne Barbara (groin strain); FW Caleb Clarke (L quad strain); FW Camilo Sanvezzo (R quad strain)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Alain Rochat (L knee sprain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- This will be the fifth edition of the Canadian Championship. The tournament winner advances to the group stage of the CONCACAF Champions League.
- The Vancouver Whitecaps have claimed second place to Toronto FC for three seasons running, with the Montreal Impact claiming the inaugural title.
- This is the first matchup ever between FC Edmonton and the Whitecaps.
- In Edmonton's first involvement in the competition last season, the club crashed out to eventual champion Toronto 4-0 on aggregate.
- The Whitecaps sit in third place in the MLS Western Conference with 14 points, having won their last two matches 1-0. Goalscoring has been an issue though, with the club only finding the back of the net seven times in eight matches.
- Edmonton sits in last place in the second-tier NASL, with only one point from four matches played.