The 2011 playoffs begin with New York traveling to Frisco, Texas to take on Dallas at 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday.
|FC Dallas (4-1-4-1): Hartman; Loyd, John, Ihemelu, Benitez; Hernandez; Chavez, Jacobson, Cruz, Shea; Jackson.
OUT: DF Edson Edward (R knee ACL tear); MF David Ferreira (R ankle); MF Jonathan Top (L hip)
QUESTIONABLE: MF Ricardo Villar (R foot injury); DF Jackson (R leg)
PROBABLE: MF Daniel Cruz (L leg)
|New York Red Bulls (4-4-2): Rost; Solli, Keel, Ream, Miller; McCarty, Marquez, Tainio, Lindpere; Richards, Henry.||
OUT: DF Chris Albright (R calf strain); MF Sacir Hot (R knee surgery); MF Carl Robinson (R knee contusion)
QUESTIONABLE: FW Luke Rodgers (L knee inflammation)
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- These teams kick off the 2011 playoffs in a Wednesday Wild Card match. The winner will flip over to the opposite conference for the remainder of the playoffs - meaning New York would play the Los Angeles Galaxy if it advances and Dallas would line up in the Eastern Conference should it progress.
- New York won the regular season fixture in Pizza Hut Park on Sept. 17. Thierry Henry and Rafael Marquez missed the trip, but the Red Bulls still flew home with a 1-0 win thanks to a Luke Rodgers goal.
- Rodgers is ruled out of the match, as confirmed by coach Hans Backe, with swelling in his knee. The only league match New York has won this year without Rodgers starting was the season opener against Seattle Sounders FC on March 19.
- Both Backe and sporting director Erik Soler claimed that the Swedish coach will return for the 2012 season regardless of New York's performance in the postseason.
- Brek Shea, who was rested in the final game of the regular season against the San Jose Earthquakes with a slight neck injury, is fit and raring to go despite playing 44 matches this season. The American attacker has matured into an MLS MVP contender in the absence of injured David Ferreira, last year's MVP, who is still ruled out with a broken ankle.