Fresh off making the Open Cup final and having taken top spot in the East, Sporting KC rolls into Ohio high on confidence.
|Columbus Crew (4-4-2): Gruenebaum; Miranda, Marshall, Williams, Vukovic; Birchall, Tchani, George, Gaven; Meram, Renteria.
OUT: FW Tommy Heinemann (L knee surgery); GK William Hesmer (R hip surgery); MF Kirk Urso (R adductor tendonitis); DF Rich Balchan (sports hernia rehab)
QUESTIONABLE: DF Carlos Mendes (R ankle sprain); DF Julius James (R adductor strain); MF Danny O'Rourke (L ankle sprain); MF Milovan Mirosevic (L adductor strain); MF Dilly Duka (L hamstring strain)
PROBABLE: DF Chad Marshall (concussion)
|Sporting Kansas City (4-2-3-1): Nielsen; Myers, Collin, Besler, Sinovic; Nagamura, Espinoza; Kamara, Zusi, Peterson; Sapong.
OUT: DF Cyprian Hedrick (L fibula fracture); GK Jon Kempin (R ankle fracture); DF Lawrence Olum (L groin strain); PROBABLE: FW Bobby Convey (L calf strain)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- With a 2-0 win over Philadlephia on Wednesday, Sporting advanced to the final of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, which it will host against the three-time reigning champions Seattle Sounders.
- The teams have split their two meetings each of the last two seasons. Sporting won, 2-1, in the first meeting at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park on Sept. 28 – ending a three-year Columbus winning streak in KC.
- While Sporting KC recorded its first defensive shutout since June 16 in the club's scoreless draw with Houston, goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen lowered his goals against average to 0.94, best among goalkeepers with 10 league starts or more.
- After failing to score in 17 games during his rookie season, Columbus’ Justin Meram has scored three goals in only eight games this year, second-most on the team.
- With a win, and if other results go its way, Columbus could end the weekend in a playoff spot.