Chivas USA enters the era of El Chelis by welcoming the Columbus Crew to the Home Depot Center.
|Chivas USA (3-5-2): Kennedy; Vilchez, Burling, Purdy; Courtois, Iraheta, Bolanos, Minda, Avila; Agudelo, Correa.
|Columbus Crew (4-3-3): Gruenebaum; Williams, Marshall, Glauber, Wahl; Viana, Higuain, Sanchez; Oduro, Arrieta, Gaven.
- Neither side made the playoffs last season.
- Federico Higuaín scored five goals and assisted seven more to win the 2012 MLS Newcomer of the Year award.
- The Crew jettisoned 11 players in the offseason after finishing a point shy of the playoffs. Fresh arrivals include the South American trio of Agustín Viana, Gláuber and Matías Sánchez.
- Chivas USA also failed to qualify for the postseason, finishing last in the West. Jorge Vergara bought the team outright from his business partners and set about reestablishing the Hispanic identity of the club. Jose Luis 'Chelis' Sanchez Sola has brought in a host of Latino MLS and Liga MX role players and cut nearly any former player on a high salary.
- Dan Kennedy, initially assumed to be on the trading block, will remain as the Goats' captain. Despite a high 1.69 goals-against average, the 30-year-old finished second in 2012 Goalkeeper of the Year voting.