thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • November 29, 2014
  • • 10:00 AM
  • • Turf Moor, Burnley
  • Referee: G. Scott
  • • Attendance: 19910

Burnley 1-1 Aston Villa: Ings penalty denies Villa first win in nine

The away side continued its run without a win in the league, as a late penalty kick restored parity.

Aston Villa's winless run was stretched nine Premier League matches as Danny Ings' late penalty salvaged a 1-1 draw for Burnley.

Joe Cole's first-half effort set Villa on course for a much-needed three points as Paul Lambert's injury-hit side put in an encouraging display at Turf Moor, but Ings equalized with a last-gasp spot kick.

Villa, which had claimed just two points from its previous eight league matches, carved through the Burnley defense at will during the first 25 minutes, with Gabriel Agbonlahor and Ciaran Clark going particularly close.

Cole gave the visitors a deserved lead in the 38th minute with an instinctive finish, but Burnley did improve after the break.

Sean Dyche's men were aiming to win a third consecutive Premier League match for the first time in their history and nearly drew level through Michael Kightly 10 minutes into the second period.

The hosts' persistence eventually paid off, though, as Jores Okore bundled Lukas Jutkiewicz to the floor inside the area and Ings buried the resulting penalty to steal a point with three minutes left.

Villa's preparations were hardly helped by Roy Keane's decision to relinquish his role as assistant manager on Friday, though the away side did look threatening during the early exchanges.

In fact, Lambert's men went agonizingly close to taking the lead in the sixth minute as Okore flicked Ashley Westwood's corner towards goal, only to see Dean Marney clear from underneath the crossbar. 

Villa continued to pile the pressure on and caused more problems from a corner a few moments later, with Marney again decisive as he blocked Clark's goal-bound header. 

Villa eventually took a hard-earned lead seven minutes before the break; Cole poking inside the post after latching on to Andreas Weimann's well-weighted pass.

Burnley started the second half brightly and almost restored parity in the 56th minute as Brad Guzan denied Kightly from close range after the forward dribbled past a couple of defenders.

Burnley was finally rewarded for its late pressure as Okore hauled second-half substitute Jutkiewicz to the ground in the box and Ings confidently smashed home the penalty.

The hosts continued to pile men forward and twice they went close in stoppage time as Ings hit the post and then Jutkiewicz headed just wide, but ultimately they had to settle for a point.