With Dougie Freedman and Martin O'Neil's sides struggling for points in their respective divisions so far this season, the FA Cup provides a welcome distraction for both clubs.
Mears, Ream, Knight, Alonso
Eagles, Spearing, Pratley, Lee
Gardner, Killagon, Cuellar, Rose
Johnson, Larsson, Colback, McClean
After making their comebacks as substitutes against Leeds United on Tuesday, Benik Afobe and David Ngog (both knocks) are both pushing for starts to Dougie Freedman's starting XI as Bolton welcomes Sunderland to the Reebok Stadium.
Mark Davies (shoulder), Josh Vela and David Wheater (both knee) remain out, while Matt Mills and Stuart Holden are both short of match fitness.
Following Tueday's heavy defeat to Liverpool, Sunderland boss Martin O'Neil will consider whether to rotate his side or not as he prepares for this FA Cup third round clash.
John O'Shea could return after missing the trip to Anfield through illness, but Lee Cattermole and Wes Brown (both knee) remain long-term absentees for the Black Cats.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Bolton won the first ever FA Cup final that was held at Wembley.
- Sunderland pulled off one of the biggest FA Cup shocks of all time when, as a Second Division side, they won the cup in 1973, defeating First Division giant Leeds United in the final.
- The Trotters have not won any of their last eight meetings against Sunderland, with their last home win against the Black Cats coming towards the end of the 2007-08 season.
- Frazier Campbell (pictured right) made his debut for Sunderland against Bolton at the Reebok Stadium back in August 2009, before scoring his first league goal for the club in the return fixture at the Stadium of Light.
- The two sides last met in the FA Cup in January 2009. Sunderland won that fixture at the Stadium of Light 2-1.
- Kevin Davies is the only player from either side who featured in that match to remain at his club. Adam Bogdan was an unused substitute for Bolton that day.
- David Ngog scored his first ever Premier League goal against Sunderland, for Liverpool.
- Bolton has only beaten Sunderland once in the FA Cup. That came back in 1980, with the Black Cats winning five of the other seven meetings in this competition between the two sides.