Steve Kean's side will be hoping for a victory to move clear of the bottom three, but the visitors need a positive result to maintain their push for a European place.
Lowe, Givet, Dann, Olsson
Gamst Pedersen, Dunn, N'Zonzi, Hoilett Formica, Goodwillie
Santon, Williamson, Coloccini, Simpson Gutierrez, Cabaye, Guthrie, Ben Arfa
Shola Ameobi, Best
Blackburn boss Steve Kean is unlikely to make too many changes after seeing his team take four points from its last two Premier League matches. Mauro Formica could be recalled in favor of Radosav Petrovic as the home side looks for more of an attacking threat. Top goalscorer Yakubu misses out again following the red card he picked up against Fulham.
Magpies manager Alan Pardew will be hoping Fabricio Coloccini passes a late fitness test to take his place in the heart of Newcastle’s defense. The Argentine could be the sole change from the side which was knocked out of the FA Cup by Brighton at the weekend. Long-term injury victim Steven Taylor again misses out as does Demba Ba, Cheik Tiote and new signing Papiss Cisse who remain away at the Africa Cup of Nations.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Blackburn has taken an impressive eight points from its last five Premier League matches.
- The home side has yet to be involved in a goalless draw so far in the Premier League this season.
- Rovers forward David Goodwillie (pictured right) has found the back of the net in his last two appearances after failing to score in his first 13 league showings for the club.
- Blackburn has kept clean sheets in its last two home league matches against Newcastle after conceding in its previous seven home games against the Magpies.
- Newcastle’s last win against Blackburn at Ewood Park in the Premier League was over five years ago, when it won 3-1 in 2006-07.
- The visitors have only managed to win one of their last six away matches, a 2-0 win over Bolton.
- Alan Pardew’s side has been ahead at halftime in their its three league fixtures after going eight games without being in the lead at the interval.
- Newcastle has yet to win more than 10 corners in a Premier League match so far this season.