thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • September 22, 2013
  • • 8:30 AM
  • • Emirates Stadium, London
  • Referee: M. Dean
  • • Attendance: 50002

Arsenal 3-1 Stoke: Ozil sets up three Gunners goals

The former Real Madrid man played a part in all three of the home side's goals as Mark Hughes' charges failed to deal with set pieces. USA's Geoff Cameron scored for the Potters.

Mesut Ozil starred with three assists, as Arsenal made it four consecutive Premier League wins with a 3-1 victory over Stoke City at the Emirates Stadium Sunday.

The Germany international enjoyed a productive home debut as Arsene Wenger's men eased to a comfortable win that sent them top of the Premier League ahead of Sunday's late fixtures.

Ozil's free kick was parried into the path of Aaron Ramsey to score a fifth-minute opener, before USA international Geoff Cameron cancelled that out for Stoke with his first goal for the club.

Per Mertesacker put Arsenal back in front at the break, with Ozil supplying the assist, before the playmaker was on hand again to supply the third for Bacary Sagna to head home his first goal since February 2012 with 18 minutes left.

The only change for the hosts came just prior to the match, with Serge Gnabry called up as a late replacement for Theo Walcott, who was laid low with illness. Mikel Arteta and Nicklas Bendtner both made their first appearances of the season on the bench. For the visitors, Marko Arnautovic made his first start for the club in place of Matthew Etherington.

Arsenal had won its last six in all competitions going into the clash, and the Gunners were ahead within five minutes through Ramsey.

Ozil's free kick was parried away by Asmir Begovic,and Ramsey followed up to finish at the near post and claim his fourth goal in three games and seven in all competitions this season.

Stoke responded well, and they were level through Cameron after 26 minutes, with the American coolly slotting home from outside the area. Arnautovicsaw his volleyed effort come back off the post, with the defender latching onto the rebound to put his side level.

Parity lasted just 10 minutes, though, and as Arsenal pressed forward, the hosts were rewarded once again with the lead when Mertesacker put them back in front nine minutes before the break with his first goal of the season.

Ozil was the architect again as he swung in a corner and his fellow Germany internationalheaded towards the far post, with the ball creeping in despite the efforts of the scrambling Begovic.

Olivier Giroud forced an impressive save from Begovicseven minutes after the break, following good work from Gnabry, before the French striker curled an effort over from inside the area soon afterwards.

Marc Wilson then had a sight on goal for Stoke just after the hour mark, but Wojiech Szczesnywas equal to it. The Pole was soon required again, gathering a dangerous delivery from Steven N'Zonzias the visitors applied pressure.

However, Arsenal went two goals clear courtesy of another header after 72 minutes, with Sagna getting his name on the scoresheetas he met another Ozil delivery and looped his header over Begovicand into the far corner.

Ozil was withdrawn to a standing ovation after 79 minutes, with Artetaon in his place, as Arsenal closed out the game to move top of the table.