'El clasico rioplatense' will take over Santa Fe on Saturday as two of the cup favorites will take to the pitch with a spot in the semifinals at stake.
|Argentina: Romero; Zabaleta, Burdisso, G. Milito, Zanetti; Gago, Mascherano; Aguero, Messi, Di Maria; Higuain.
No changes for Argentina as Sergio Batista calls the same lineup that earned a 3-0 victory against Costa Rica last time out.
Uruguay: Muslera; M. Pereira, Lugano, Victorino, Caceres, A. Pereira; Gonzalez, Perez, Rios; Forlan, Suarez.
Oscar Tabarez will look to Diego Forlan and Luis Suarez to find the net against their neighbors as they are shorthanded with the absence of Edinson Cavani, who is still recovering from injury.
- Argentina escaped Group A with five points, finishing in second place.
- The host nation could only manage one goal from its first two games in the competition, but came alive in the last game against Costa Rica, winning 3-0.
- Striker Sergio Aguero is the top scorer in the tournament with three goals, including a brace against Costa Rica.
- This will be Argentina's second game in Santa Fe in the Copa America. It drew 0-0 against Colombia in its first appearance in the province.
- The winner of the contest will face the victor of Colombia and Peru in the semifinals in La Plata on Tuesday.
- Uruguay finished second in Group C with five points, two behind winners Chile.
- The top scorer on the team in the tournament is not Forlan, Suarez or Cavani - it is defender Alvaro Pereira, who has two goals.
- A win would clinch Uruguay's fifth straight appearance in the semifinals.
- The last meeting that took place between the two sides was in October 2009 when a Mario Bolatti goal six minutes from time clinched Argentina's qualification to the World Cup in South Africa.
Follow Goal.com on to get the latest soccer news directly. Check out Goal.com's page; be part of the best soccer fan community in the world!
- Cavani will not play as he is still recuperating from a knee injury suffered against Chile in the team's second game. The striker did not play in the 1-0 victory over Mexico.