The United States travels to Antigua for the first time, with two games remaining in the semifinal round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying.
|Antigua and Barbuda (4-5-1): De Castro; Joseph, Dublin, Blakely, Francis-Angol; Murtagh, Christian, Thomas, Burton, Robinson; Byers.
Full roster not released yet. It will lean heavily on Antigua Barracuda FC as well as sprinkle in a few players from the lower divisions in England.
|USA (4-3-3): Howard; Parkhurst, Cameron, Bocanegra, Cherundolo; Williams, Bradley, Kljestan; Zusi, Gomez, Dempsey|
GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS: Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Maurice Edu (Stoke City), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland)
MIDFIELDERS: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Roma), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS: Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna), Alan Gordon (San Jose Earthquakes), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC)
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- The United States is tied with Jamaica and Guatemala at the top of Group A on seven points. Following this match, the Americans will host Guatemala in the last match of the semifinal stage, on Oct. 16. The top two in the group advance to the Hexagonal.
- A capacity crowd of 10,000 is expected at Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in North Sound, Antigua. The population of the country is 80,000.
- Injuries claimed Landon Donovan, Brek Shea and Edgar Castillo from the U.S. roster. Fabian Johnson will join the team in Kansas City, Kan. He skipped the trip to Antigua with the flu.
- That leaves a gap at left back for Jurgen Klinsmann. Michael Parkhurst and Carlos Bocanegra are the favorites to fill in. Klinsmann has thus far spurned calling in any replacements.
- The hubbub surrounding the current roster centered on the omission of Jozy Altidore, who has eight goals in eight games for AZ Alkmaar. In a conference call Monday Klinsmann explained that he expected more from the 22-year-old striker in national team camps. He also indicated that Alan Gordon and Eddie Johnson offered strong aerial games to help break down deep defenses.
- The Yanks have faced Antigua & Barbuda only once in history, winning the home leg 3-1 in Tampa, Fla. on June 8. The United States is 18-11-11 overall against CONCACAF island nations.
- The match will be broadcast in the United States by beIN Sport. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. ET.