Europa League Preview: Tottenham - Lyon
Spurs will be keen to restart their bid for Europa League glory with a victory against a Ligue 1 outfit which impressed in the group stages - taking 16 out of 18 possible points.
By Shane Farrington
Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto
Lennon, Dembele, Parker, Bale
Reveillere, Dabo, Bisevac, Umtiti
Ghezzal, Gourcuff, Gonalons, Malbranque Lopez, Gomis
Andre Villas-Boas is set to make some changes from the side that defeated Newcastle United 2-1 on Saturday with Benoit Assou-Ekotto and Jan Vertonghen poised to come into the starting lineup to freshen up the back line.
Further forward, Emmanuel Adebayor is likely to start his first match for the club since returning from the Africa Cup of Nations. Younes Kaboul (knee) and Jermain Defoe (ankle) both remain a couple of weeks away from returning. Sando (knee) will miss the rest of the season.
For the hosts, Remi Garde could also change the team which lost 3-1 at home to Lille. Yoann Gourcuff has struggled to make the starting XI for the club on a consistent basis but could be given a chance to add to his three appearances in the Europa League.
Up front Bafetimbi Gomis may also potentially come in to give increased attacking options alongside fellow strike partner Lisandro Lopez.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Tottenham finished second in Group J behind Serie A outfit Lazio. The north London club took 10 points from its six games.
- Hugo Lloris (pictured right) made 195 appearances for Lyon during his four-year spell at the club before he departed to move to Tottenham in August.
- The north London club has won the UEFA Cup twice - during its inaugural season in 1972 and in 1984.
- Lyon won Group I in impressive fashion - taking 16 points out of a possible 18 - nine more than second-placed Sparta Prague.
- Ex-Spurs midfielder Steed Malbranque has scored twice in 16 appearances since he joined Lyon last summer.
- Bafetimbi Gomis has netted twice in three Europa League games so far this season, and has been linked with a move to a host of Premier League sides.
Top 3 Predictions
Tottenham 3-1 O. Lyon
- 17.87 %
Tottenham 2-0 O. Lyon
- 17.68 %
Tottenham 2-1 O. Lyon
- 15.92 %
|Europa League (EL)||Feb 21, 2013||O. Lyon 1 - Tottenham 1|
|Europa League (EL)||Feb 14, 2013||Tottenham 2 - O. Lyon 1|
|Dec 7, 2013||Sunderland 1 - Tottenham 2||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Fulham 1 - Tottenham 2||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Tottenham 2 - Manchester United 2||EPL|
|Nov 28, 2013||Tromsø 0 - Tottenham 2||EL|
|Nov 24, 2013||Manchester City 6 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|-||Moussa Sidi Yaya Dembélé||Midfielder|
Times In EDT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed